Looked at the weather for a few days and it seemed today would be the best day, though I was physically tired from building a new shed and other yard work, and my son had a friend stay over night so he went to bed late. Wife, me, and my son were going to start fishing around 4pm but wife wasn't feeling good so just me and my son. Started to set up in about 135 ft, got out one dipsy out 200ft on 3 setting with a flasher and fly, then set another dispy out 225 on 3 setting. Then, despite being told not to put a lead core out when just two people in the boat, guess what I did? Put a lead core out. I bought this torpedo weight and like any guy with a new toy, I wanted to play with it. So I put 3 colors of core out then the 12oz torpedo and let out about 200 feet of line and attached to a church board. I started to set up my first downrigger but broke the rubber band on the way down. Just starting to figure out how to use the Black releases with rubber bands. Before I can get the rigger set up the dipsy out 200ft gets hit and it immediately takes out line. I give the rod to my son and he thinks its going to be too hard for him so I take it back. Figure I'll tire the fish out a little and give it back to him. Well about 20minutes later I thought of giving it to him because I started to get tired! I could definitely feel this was going to be my biggest salmon ever. I think he took about 175ft of line out, I would get him in a little but he just kept pulling more line out. Still being a novice at this king salmon thing I didn't want to put too much pressure but when he slowed down I tried to put pressure on him and tightened the drag a little. Got him to about 150ft in back of boat and then he makes a run for the church board! Gets tangled up with it and the board disappears under water. I figure this fish is lost. Finally get him back of the boat but he is still not done. I give the rod to my son and he fights him for a while. He just wouldn't give up. The surface temp was 62 so that wasn't slowing him up. I think by now our boat has made almost a complete circle. I have my son back up and I grab the line and after what seemed an eternity finally got him in our under size net. We were both spent after that. Ended up being a very short trip but well worth it. And couldn't get my son to get in the photo. Thanks to everyone who shares info. It really helps with the learning curve.

What I learned:

1. Don't go king salmon fishing after doing two days of hard yard work

2. When someone with more experience tells you don't run a leadcore line with two people in the boat- listen to him

3. Don't go king salmon fishing with an under size net

So tomorrow, it being Father's Day, I think I will be buying a larger net. And then Monday being my 52 birthday (and I felt every day of it today) I think I will buy myself a new smoker.

Happy Father's day everyone!

Biggest Salmon Ever.jpg

3 hours ago, DWHJR said:

Great story!  Learning is half the fun.

Thanks. Yeah, as long as I'm learning and getting better at this.

2 hours ago, Brian S said:

I had to laugh at #3 for your lessons learned. Definitely been there! Congrats on your personal best.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks Brian. Glad I'm not the only one who has done that. Anyone want to buy a net?

I run copper and lead core down the chute often with just me and one buddy.  Key thing is always be aware its out there and were it is in relation to the fish and move it or reel it in when needed.  Yeah it sucks to reel it in to just clear it for a fish on another rod but that is the price I pay sometime for running it.  Congratulations on a nice fish.  Rule number three is a real good one.

Edited by pvelyk
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, pvelyk said:

I run copper and lead core down the chute often with just me and one buddy.  Key thing is always be aware its out there and were it is in relation to the fish and move it or reel it in when needed.  Yeah it sucks to reel it in to just clear it for a fish on another rod but that is the price I pay sometime for running it.  Congratulations on a nice fish.  Rule number three is a real good one.

Thanks. I need to teach my 11 year old son how to set lines and rearrange them when we have a fish on. Will get better at this.

Been there a bunch of times.... The best is when your copper gets wadded up with the wire diver.... Good times!
I've had kings do a lot of weird things behind the boat... This Spring I tossed back a 10 lber only to have him dart under the boat... Next thing I saw was scales and a pool of blood..... Prop victim...
Great job getting your son out...

Sent from my VS996 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

4 hours ago, Missdemeanor said:

Been there a bunch of times.... The best is when your copper gets wadded up with the wire diver.... Good times!
I've had kings do a lot of weird things behind the boat... This Spring I tossed back a 10 lber only to have him dart under the boat... Next thing I saw was scales and a pool of blood..... Prop victim...
Great job getting your son out...

Sent from my VS996 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Don't know if he'll ever take up the sport later, but at least I tried. Hard to get kids away for the computer screen these days.

4 hours ago, BreakingBass said:

Great story Ric, even after 3 years I'm still on the learning curve too.  The expertise on this board is invaluable.

Thanks. I've been trolling for many years on the Finger Lakes but Lake Ontario kings is a different ball game

10 hours ago, wishinfishin said:

The only people that never have anything go wrong are the people not fishing. Figuring it out is what makes it sweet when it comes together.
Nice job. And good job to your son keeping things buttoned up on both of your reports when it was his turn to shine, teamwork makes the dream work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That is something to keep in mind. I remember days I thought I'd give up trolling because everything seemed to go wrong- dipsy screw would come lose and would go off on its own adventure. can't get the kicker started, hours of trolling with out a hit, etc. If there is one thing fishing teaches us is perseverance. As much pleasure as I get out of reeling in a fish, I'm really enjoying seeing other people reeling in fish on my boat.