Boat Maintenance Advice

jigstick

I purchased my 1997 Bayliner 2252 Express Cruiser 5 years ago.  I had the boat surveyed at that time which didn't show any major problems.  The only advice at that time was to replace the fuel fill hose which had some dry cracking.  SInce then the only maintenance that I have personally done on the boat is an oil change, gear lube change, topping off fluids, fuel additives, washing, waxing, and had the gimble bearing and bellows changed (5yrs ago).  The boat is running fine right now.  But I decided to take it to a mechanic and have it "tuned up".  These are the following things he recommended that I do.  Does this sound appropriate?

Oil change

Gear lube change

New lower unit impeller and seals

grease lower unit

Check / top off all fluids

Check / adjust idle

Replace fuel filter

Check / replace cap and rotor

replace shift cable bellow (which I told him was showing some weather cracking"

The estimate was $600-$800

Does this sound reasonable?  Like I said, I KNOW none of it has been done in atleast 5 years (besides my oil change and gear lube change)

It all looks like normal maintenance stuff to me. but as far as the money partgoes  most will be labor and most charge $100-120 or so per hour for it

Edited by Sk8man

I'm not a mechanic  I'd say it would depend on the way things looked when evaluating the situation and that goes for the rotor and cap as well.My mechanic buddy would say " If it aint broke don't fix it" :lol:

Well that’s was my motto all the time too. But my fear is I’m overlooking some maintenance that I don’t even know needs done. 

My Cap and rotor looks ok with no obvious corrosion. 

Changing the oil oil and gear lube I understand should be yearly. 

The idle has always sounded a little low to me so I wanted it checked and put back in spec if it was out. 

I knew nothing about the impeller and seals in the lower unit. I never knew the lower need any type of maintenance except greasing the rams and changing the gear lube. 

My fuel filter iscall diety on the outside. For all I know it’s the original from 1997. 

I mean they they said they will only change what needs to be changed. I think they sound honest. 

• Like 1

The lower unit is the big $$ cost if you can’t do it yourself, I got it down to 30mins off just saying 45mins on sometimes they like to give you a little shyt, going on. The water pump I put a new one on, if they ran dry for a little time they heat the body up, then the stainless steel cup the impeller spins in isn’t directly centered and eats impellers, so I just put a new whole unit on. Like mentioned above most is labor same as the auto industry, if the “BooK” says it should take 2 hrs and the job only took 45mins, guess how much labor you’ll pay?? I’ll leave it at that!!!

• Like 2

Looks like a good price. I'd run with it.

Being I run for hire, I do my fuel system monthly. Cap and rotors yearly. Oil every 50 hours. Transmissions yearly.
Spark plugs. Yearly.

It's all about how ya look at it. I'm a bit overkill but I do my own work.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app