Lake trout from Cayuga,

The jack and coke probably helped alot  :-P   but I think the biggest thing you can do  is to eat it fresh from the lake or a day or so in the fridge  , the longer it sits in the freezer the stronger they get and cut out the dark line too .

Lake trout are good eating. they break down pretty fast when you throw it in the cooler. bleed it and pack it in ice right away. 20 inches is the biggest one I will keep for dinner. bake it in tin foil over coals. they melt in my mouth. up to 23 inches. I smoke them. any thing bigger.  I throw back in the lake.

I think they are ok at best... Guys from NJ hated Bluefish when I was there [for 37 years], and many would not eat them or would throw them in the garden. yet they are better eating than lake trout.. Lakers are oily and strong much like a Bluefish, but have a fresh water "musty" taste to go along with it.. I eat them, but I'd rather eat  plain old Bluegills any day.. they simply aren't as good as most other fish... bob

• Like 1

I think Ray is right about the way to deal with the lakers. Bulletbob....as far as the bluefish go the treatment of them prior to cooking is critical and they can be delicious if it is done right. as soon as caught and getting them on ice is important. Then, when you get "home" fillet them and put the fillets in a garbage bag that contains salt water (sea salt in regular water) and concentrated lemon juice liberally added to the mix. Let it sit for an hour or two. This will kill the fishy taste and remove a lot of oil and you will see clumps of oil in the residue water afterward. I used to grill them using cajun spices and my mother-in-law still talks about them being the best fish she has ever eaten (and she is VERY fussy)😀

Edited by Sk8man

you want a very good laker to eat follow Rays info above' pick the dark and orange tip fin ones , remove skin , all bones , all grey fat , as much of the lateral line as you can , soak in egg+milk+paprika over night ,,, cut into chucks , dip in batter  , deep fry..... 

Smoke the big ones , add some real maple syrup just before done.....

I think how you perceive lake trout is dependent on where you catch them.  I had one from Cayuga a while back caught in cold weather and cleaned right out of the water, and then baked on a rack, and it was delicious.  Lake Ontario lakers, not so much. One thing I disagree on is frying, trout and salmon are oily fish, and breading and frying traps that oil and if it oxidizes, the flavor goes south.  Baked on a rack, or wrapped in foil with some citrus and white wine on the grill, Yum!

• Like 1