A lot of people don't realize that. They say I can see it on my fishfinder. But depending on speed and depth and the angle you can be way shallower than what the FF shows. But how does the FX 4 D compensate for the angle. 

It doesn’t measure distance, it measures pressure. The water pressure is different at different depths. So it is more accurate than any counter that doesn’t account for blow back.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

56 minutes ago, nysrx01 said:

A lot of people don't realize that. They say I can see it on my fishfinder. But depending on speed and depth and the angle you can be way shallower than what the FF shows. But how does the FX 4 D compensate for the angle. 

it measures water pressure that is sent to the head unit by way of the transducer.. on any given day my x4d probe can be down 80ft as per rigger counter yet read down 100 ft on the fish finder, but yet the actual depth probe could be 70ft

On 7/10/2018 at 1:29 PM, joe g said:

your weight is not at the same depth as your sonar shows it. it appears deeper on screen than it actually is because of the hypotenuse of right angles

Never thought of that! because of blowback- ball dragging, correct? Thanks Joe.But its probably close I would surmise. 

11 hours ago, garrymny said:

Never thought of that! because of blowback- ball dragging, correct? Thanks Joe.But its probably close I would surmise. 

a squared = b squared + c squared. look at a pic of the pythagorean theorum. it doesnt have to be close at all. the deeper the ball and more blow black then the "deeper" it will appear on your graph. yest i was in 200 foot of water with a rigger down 150ft. it looked like it was dragging bottom on graph. in reality it was probably 60foot above the bottom.  

sonar measures DISTANCE from transducer, not DEPTH. the only time the two are the same is when the object is directly under the transducer.   this is why fish "arc" on sonar as it starts at a greater distance, then under it, then moves away in the cone.   if you look at the diagram, 'A' represents the distance that the transducer is seeing your weight with the top tip of the triangle being the transducer and the far right corner of the triangle being the weight.  if you were to to transpose that line parallel to 'C' it would be much longer, which is why it appears deeper than it actually is

Edited by joe g

in this example your rigger depth is C (70ft).. the distance away from tranducer with blow back is B (30ft).  that would make the distance from transducer to weight A ( roughly 76-77 ft  ) and that is how "deep" it would appear on your graph. the deeper C is and further back B is the more exaggerated A will be.  

and yes i know the diagram is not drawn to scale. 

pythagorean.jpg

I think you guys r thinking to much . I have the new fishhawk . If my rigger cable is down 100 ft and my fishhawk says 85 ft . But my fish finder is marking fish at 92 ft . I’m ok with that . I want my lures above the fish not below them . If the rigger fires , I’ll put it back down to the same spot . Don’t over think fishing . [emoji226][emoji226][emoji226]

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

2 hours ago, p3434 said:

I think you guys r thinking to much . I have the new fishhawk . If my rigger cable is down 100 ft and my fishhawk says 85 ft . But my fish finder is marking fish at 92 ft . I’m ok with that . I want my lures above the fish not below them . If the rigger fires , I’ll put it back down to the same spot . Don’t over think fishing . emoji226.pngemoji226.pngemoji226.png

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

you are a 100% correct when you say reproducing something successful is the most important part of fishing. but the more  info you have will help your success rate.    it is highly unlikely, as you state, that your rigger will ever show higher on your graph than it is down in real depth,   you can choose to ignore the facts but it  doesnt mean that they arent real and useful tools in setting your program.  you say you want to put your gear just above the fish and again you couldnt be more accurate. but the formula i gave will help you understand exactly how it works and can help you get in the right spot

Makes sense. So if I stop the boat, the sonar will show pretty accurate how deep the ball is, so I can then see if my counter matches, got LINE OUT. I understand that once I start moving the display will no longer be accurate. Ok, so now the question: if a hook shows on my screen is that accurate? I assume I will need to see where the tip of the return is?

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app