Braddocks Brown question...

Well, i've caught thousands upon thousands of spawning male browns and can say that back is not normal...Kype you are right about but never have I seen a trend where male brown's back look like Quazzie Modo unless they have been damaged...

I guess we'll have to steal Jammer's fish and perform an autopsy to settle this bet...

Being a major advocate of catch and release, I let this this guy swim back down to continue doin' his thing...

One of you will have to catch him again to settle up.

I knew that the males get goofy looking during their spawn, but thought this seemed a bit extreme.

JAM

Page 58, 2nd paragraph: http://books.google.com/books?id=j35ZD6 ... &ct=result

Pay up. :D :D :D

Slimey Hooks, I've caught my share of browns over the years also & caught more than one with this type of hump. Maybe because most of them were in front of the nuke plant in Oswego? :D Honestly though, they do hump like that when they're older and in the spawn mode.

Page 58, 2nd paragraph: http://books.google.com/books?id=j35ZD6 ... &ct=result

Pay up. :D :D :D

Slimey Hooks, I've caught my share of browns over the years also & caught more than one with this type of hump. Maybe because most of them were in front of the nuke plant in Oswego? :D Honestly though, they do hump like that when they're older and in the spawn mode.

Bob, not that severe though, I think that looks like a damaged fish as well.

Oh, by the way, what does your link to a dissertation on BROOK TROUIT have to do with this thread :lol:

Tim

Jammer,

Your article seems to be talking about oncorhynchus which are all the salmon species as well as steelhead and browns are not in the same classification so I really dont see how we can compare these species...

http://www.grahamowengallery.com/fishin ... trout.html I fail to see a hump on any of these fish and if it were normal it would be their...They are wider top to bottom and thats the hump they refer to its very slight and not a hunchback deal...One thing I heard at a state of the lake meeting was browns usually grow way to fast for the bodies to catch up to and that can lead to some unusual looking fish as well...The speakers also said thats why they dont live as long as they should because they burn themselves out...

Musky,

With all due respect i'll pull the trigger to my brain when proven wrong because I seriously doubt I am...I did read your article and it says the hump occurs under the dorsal fin if at all and where is the hump on Jammer's fish??? If the hump was a normal thing, than I would think every male brown over 7-8 pounds would have that hump...I know their bodies seem to get wider or broader when spawning and I am sure that's what they speak off concerning a hump...I've caught browns spring through fall, 2-15 pounds trolling with that busted back hump and it was'nt due to spawning...Also, the article speaks of brook trout not brown trout...I dont see how we can compare Char, Pacific Salmon and true trout at the same time...

Ohh, come and take my boat if you can prove me wrong...It needs a COMPLETE wire job and a fuel pump and i'll even throw in my Furuno 582, GPS and every single piece of fishing equipment that I ever bought for the boat...Just prove me wrong with-out a doubt and i'll PM you my address...Its a 21' foot Trophy Bayliner with a 2000 150 HP Mercury Optimax if that'll get you motivated to keep searching to prove me wrong...

If nothing else we'll all be smarter for reading articles trying to figure this out... ;)

Time for one of the new guys to try and stir things up. Is there a chance that this could somehow be related to a pink salmon. We do have them in the great lakes, although the numbers are not that high. Is it possible for a brown trout and a pink salmon to spawn. Just adding some ideas, I can't wait to see what you guys have to say about me now!

I too caught a weird looking brown last winter in Irondequoit Creek. In fact, when I fought the fish I couldn't tell what it was until I got it on the bank...It had the most golden brown color I had ever seen and it had a very distinctive hump...Upon notifying the DEC I was told that some browns do develop severe humpbacks....I would show pictures, but I do not know how....I'm still in shock from the news tonight that my head gaskets went on my 150 Horse Merc....Ouch.......POPS

Time for one of the new guys to try and stir things up. Is there a chance that this could somehow be related to a pink salmon. We do have them in the great lakes, although the numbers are not that high. Is it possible for a brown trout and a pink salmon to spawn. Just adding some ideas, I can't wait to see what you guys have to say about me now!

jeb,

sorry, the short answer is no.

tim

Thanks for sharing your pictures Pops...Sorry to here about your engine issue as well...I can really feel for ya on that one...

Seems odd to me that i've caught more spring and summer browns that looked exactly like yours than fall/winter ones...Even caught 10 inch stockers at Powder Mill that were seriously "footballed"...

My vote's for "normal", but on the somewhat overendowed side...much like myself:) (okay, if you've fished with me, you know that's a blatant lie).

The second set of pictures looks like most of the large male browns that I've caught; the first picture, I'm guessing that the hump is accentuated because of the way the fish is being held. As is typical with most large fish, the spine won't hold the body weight. This is, I think, creating an illusion that the hump comes to a crease just anterior to the dorsal fin.

Just a theory though...and they still haven't proven or disproven the "world record" muskie based on a picture, so I doubt this will solve anything.

Gator