Beginner to Lake Ontario salmon

Hello,

I'm an avid walleye fisherman on my home waters of lake Erie but really want to get into some of the exciting opportunities that can be had salmon and trout fishing around Olcott, I was there several years ago and did fair on the steelies but want to go back and try and put a successful trip together for  august or September. Can anyone give me the basics on when and where you have a reasonable chance of being successful targeting kings. What are some of the best producing methods and if anyone has a cottage or hotel that they can recommend I would appreciate it. I'll be in my 20' Starcraft...

Thanks in advance,

Heath

Kings in August and particularly September? I wouldn't waste my time ... September they are well into staging, have stopped eating and some have even started running up rivers.  This starts mid August. The best time of the year to fish them is end July in my opinion.

Anyhow, if you do go in August, try going earlier rather than later. The bite changes from one of appetite, to one of aggression that time of year ... and so normally we switch up to bright colors red/orange/purple ... even start going to erratic baits like lymans, j-plugs, reer runners, etc.

Staging salmon normally move to shallower water, but sit right at the bottom, so you need to troll with your lines about 10' off the bottom.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silver Fox said:

Last seasons August and September were awesome. When you get into September, mag spoons on everything seems to work best.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Well, North Shore gets tough ... staging salmon are not the easiest to catch.  I'd much rather pick end of July to fish than September, that's for sure.

• 1 year later...
On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 7:41 AM, Fairhurst Fisher said:

Thanks for the feed back, Do you guys catch your fish mostly off down riggers or what? Also any recommendations on area lodging?

Thanks, Heath

Riggers work, dipseys work and copper works.  I wouldn't go out without 2 dipseys and 2 riggers in the water (and a friend to ensure I had 4 lines in the water legally).

3 hours ago, TyeeTanic said:

Riggers work, dipseys work and copper works.  I wouldn't go out without 2 dipseys and 2 riggers in the water (and a friend to ensure I had 4 lines in the water legally).

I'm confused I thought you had 3 lines per angler on the New York side of the puddle.

Yeah they are the ones with the maple leaf tatoos on their sides and "Made in Canada" on their underbelly :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 5:41 PM, horsehunter said:

I'm confused I thought you had 3 lines per angler on the New York side of the puddle.

I'm on North Shore ... Canada. 2 rods per angler.

But still even if it were South Shore ... still 2 guys ... 2 rigger, 2-3 dipseys, 1-2 copper or leadcore (depending on depths I was aiming for).

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 5:44 PM, hairybumcrack said:

He's from Ontario on the north shore.  We are only allowed 2 per angler (which is more than plenty).

And staging salmon are easy to catch - if you have lyman's.

Yup, lymans are the way to go for staging salmon.  But I'd rather be catching silver fish in mid to end July than dirty chickens in Aug.

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 5:53 PM, horsehunter said:

Sorry I guess I didn't hear about them moving Olcott to the north shore.

Sorry I didn't assume you don't read ... if you look at my 2nd post above, I point out that I am on North Shore ... and then I said the thing about having 4 lines in the water with 2 people because I didn't want anyone to think I was doing illegally, so you know everyone would be happy in their bubbly world.

But even that didn't work, because some people need to make something out of nothing ... especially when if they just read they'd understand a little more. LOL.

Man it's becoming difficult trying to help people nowadays ... so many keyboard warriors out there!

• Like 2

My favorite time is around August 1st, the silver fish are still in a  feeding fury and fight like crazy - there is nothing like a king staying deep for 20 minutes or another charging the boat and clearing the water 100 feet ahead of the boat - I don't care who you are, you are a life long addict to salmon after one of those fights. As Sk8man says: there is a reason they call them kings!