Pool Noodles...for the boat?

garrymny

Here's what I do with pool noodles. I decided to fill some spaces under the floor with them, since that guy's boat went down so tragically last year. After I restored my old caravelle, and saw how the spray on urethane foam the older boats have is actually a sponge that absorbs water, I thought it would be a good idea. Also use it so I don't lose another net, and on my steering arm.IMG_20180623_120755218.jpgIMG_20180623_120841656.jpgIMG_20180623_120827860.jpgIMG_20180623_120857854.jpgIMG_20180623_133120677.jpgIMG_20180623_121154288.jpg

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

FYI unless you have easy access to replace the noodles, your risking having potential issues down the road as most noodles are considered open cell foam which can become waterlogged over time. Closed cell foam is best for marine applications. If you can get at them easy enough no big deal I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

The water logged closed cell material that you removed probably was in there for a very long time. The reason why it becomes water logged is usually water on top and under it that freezes and expands in winter. This destroys the closed cell walls and the material starts soaking up water. A little more every year until it is completely water logged and weights about 60 pounds per cubic foot (weight of a cubic foot of water) . your pool noodles look nice, but their flotation value is much less than closed cell because of all the open space between it. It has happened many times that the noodles escaped their enclosure while the boat takes on water. The coast guard and the insurance companies do not except your solution as valid. It is very good that you removed the water logged material, but you should replace it with new pour-able closed cell material which has a flotation value of 62 pounds per cubic foot and is actually cheaper than your dozens of noodles.

Edited by rolmops

• 2 weeks later...

The water logged foam I removed was from another Boat I restored: see the complete transom and floor restoration post on this forum. I notice this Grady White has the same type of spray on foam. After seeing what happened with the foam on the other boat, I assume this Grady's foam will do the same eventually. I actually think the pool noodles will not absorb water, and have quite good flotation characteristics, certainly better than waterlogged foam. But, if not, it is easily removed. One pool noodle can float a human being, albeit a human is not as dense as an outboard motor of course. But they do float well. I can easily Pop the inspection panel and check them periodically.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app