Cayuga Cayuga 6/24

Solo trip from Dean's Cove on a calm and peaceful lake this morning.  Went North near the silos and back for a three hour trip.  Marked the most fish a little deeper than the past couple weeks.   120-150 fow showed fish from 30  feet on down.  Couldn't convince anything but a short salmon above  60 feet off the down riggers.  The copper carrying a flasher/fly was the workhorse this morning, as it consistently fired, mostly with lake trout but also a couple  20 inch landlocks.  I definitely had "the look" of NymphO's son a few times, especially after spending about 10 minutes working in a stout laker!  Left that one and a few others in the water but kept 1 of the salmon and a small Laker for a nice grilled dinner tonight. Sorry no pics..... I don't do selfies. 😉

Fished same general area today. Got one rainbow up high (3 color). No other fish up high at all. Could have been the calm conditions, but there is plenty of bait up high, with a few surface feeding fish visible. Was running lines out and back a ways to avoid spooking fish. Got any other ideas why fish were not hitting at all in the top 60ft?

Fished same general area today. Got one rainbow up high (3 color). No other fish up high at all. Could have been the calm conditions, but there is plenty of bait up high, with a few surface feeding fish visible. Was running lines out and back a ways to avoid spooking fish. Got any other ideas why fish were not hitting at all in the top 60ft?

Too much bait! Well fed fish!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I'm no expert, but some of the long time pros have always said fish are very spooky when the lake surface is like a mirror.  A little chop gives us some natural stealth.   The only thing in our favor this morning was the overcast sky. 

Even so, I kept dropping everything deeper and deeper.  3 fish hit the fly 100 feet down.

The surface feeders may have been after bug hatches (especially rainbows and landlocks) and often when they are after the bugs they seem to ignore the spoons or deeper presentations. I used to use my flyrod  a few times with streamers out in the deep water off the high banks on Seneca during those conditions and caught some decent rainbows that way when it was mirror glass on surface and I could see the dorsals of the fish sticking in the air. When I looked at their stomach contents they were packed with flying bugs.

Edited by Sk8man