Cannon electric downriggers

DUGuy

Looking for any info on these downriggers. Got them for free and they work is all I know. Wondering if running 4 would be too many for my starcraft islander 22ft. I would like to purchase swivel bases if possible. Anyone that can help me with info on these would be appreciated! 

20180626_154327.jpg

20180626_154710.jpg

20180626_160014.jpg

20180626_160037.jpg

20180626_160105.jpg

20180626_160034.jpg

Edited by DUGuy

Look like mid 80's to 1990 long boom Cannon Mag 10A's. 10 lb max. weight on motors.  They appear to have the old power cords ....should be checked for cracking very common with them. Although not cheap the new cords from Cannon are much better and probably safer too. They can be found at Fish307.com (also some other parts but some discontinued) Installation is very easy but just reseal the covers on the motor with silicone if necessary and if the rubber plug where the cord goes inside the motor is deteriorated either replace or use clear silicone in the hole to completely plug it  so water doesn't get in. They will be slower speed-wise than the newer models but if they haven't been abused they should be fine. Check out the counters tooas they sometimes come loose so they appear not to read but sometimes just pushing them inward towards the reel spindle solves the issue. Given the long booms and your intention of running 4 of them the swivel bases will probably be necessary (e..g. esp. docking etc.). There are two types of the swivel bases material-wise the expensive and highly durable stainless steel ones and the composite material ones. Check for cracks near the release mechanism if you buy used composite ones.

Edited by Sk8man

6 minutes ago, Bozeman Bob said:

3 is the max I would put on and that's if it is a. I/O. Save one as a emergency backup . With cheaters  

dipseys and planner boards there is no reason to have 4  riggers.

X2

I have a 191 Islander with 2 of the same riggers. It came with 4. I mounted the 2 with the shorter booms about 10 inches in on the transom. I have 2 Scotty rod holders on the sides about 4 feet from  back. The riggers are on swivel mounts. I have 2 more Scotty rod holders on the back just near the edges of the dog house. The set up is the 2 riggers deep and 2 dipseys on 10 foot rods on the sides and setup for a leadcore down the chute. I would mount 2 and keep the others as spares. 

WOW, that’s a good deal, X2 on the above comments about the cords and the 2 riggers, it gets nutty once you start putting out dipsey rods and a chute rods rigger rod and a free sliders.

I agree, my boat came with 4 of those cannon mag 10As. Two with black case ( with autostop)  two with white case (older units) All work, except the auto stop on one needs a new board which I ordered from cannon.  I took 2 off. No need. I run two riggers off back, a diver off each side, and I can put a lead or copper out on a planer if i want to gamble with a mess that will take 30 minutes fishing time to untangle.,

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the replies. Two thumbs up to cannon customer service. Guy answered all my questions and knew they werefrom the 90's. He informed me they have auto stop and will handle a 12lb. Weight. He hinted they can handle much more but related that's what the specs advise.