Downrigger releases

2 hours ago, back on eerie 2016 said:

When using a rubber band does the rubber band attach to the release  or how does this work? I've never used riggers before

Thanks !

Only thing I have ever used a rubber band for is to "fix" a slider to a certain depth I want it to run at. Otherwise just get some scotty or offshore pinch style releases and you will be fine.

Edited by FishingFool34

I use red rubber bands on my cannon ball releases. They always release. Also I use red rubber bands on side planer releases. A gain they break or really stretch out with small fish. I also use red rubber bands on inline sinker weights. Easy to install any where in front of the lure and just rip the sinkers off when it reaches the pole.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

x2 on Blacks releases (less expensive durable and good range of tension settings)  or Chamberlains (about double the cost but offer lighter setting adjustments). They are both good and the way to go.  if you fish walleyes etc. the Chamberlains have a sensitive setting for light biters (e.g. walleyes or perch) and very small fish that may not trigger many other releases. As mentioned above the rubber bands are usually used either in pinch type releases or with  stackers or fixed sliders allowing more than one lure to be run on a single rod.

If you do use rubber bands for anything check out the little ones that girls use on their hair (I use the fluorescent ones to more readily see) sold in dollar stores or Walmart etc.(300-500 in a pkg..)They are the right breaking strength right out of the package for most uses other than perhaps large attractor setups). Some of the other larger bands you have to leave in the sun for a while to weaken them to the right strength.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

On 6/27/2018 at 9:08 AM, back on eerie 2016 said:

When using a rubber band does the rubber band attach to the release  or how does this work? I've never used riggers before

Thanks !

I gave up using pinch pad releases after losing too much gear. I now only use Black releases. I wet the rubber band before I attach to my line (there are some youtube videos to show you how) and then I put the rubber band  in the Black release. Yes, pinch pads are easier to use and I guess you could also put the rubber band in the pinch pad.

1 hour ago, Silver Fox said:

How in the heck do you lose equipment with a pinch pad style?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I was wondering the same thing? I guess if you buried the line deep in the release or wrapped it around the release? That could cause the line to break when I fish hit i guess... I have never found a need to put the line in more than halfway personally. I also twist the line 3-4 times and then put the loop in the release, never had anything break on me and I have only ever used the pinch style releases.

I think the only way it would happen is if the line was placed at the extreme inner edge of the release (behind the pad itself) and then when released pulled against the release rather than sliding out of the pad. I would also check the breaking strength and integrity of the line too.

15 hours ago, Silver Fox said:

How in the heck do you lose equipment with a pinch pad style?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I did tend to put it towards the back of the pad. I use flea flicker line which is very slick. To keep if from slipping I'd have to put it deep in the pad. I'd also get false releases. Difficult to find a happy medium with that line and the release. But I also think pinch pads tend to damage line which you don't get with the black releases. There must be some reason why black releases seem to be very popular.

The Blacks releases are popular because they are inexpensive, easy to learn to use, reliable, very durable, and you can run a variety of setups from them without much work by just small adjustments in the tension. The same can be said of the Chamberlains and if you are a walleye guy they may offer a slight improvement tension-wise. Over the years I have tried about every reelease out there including some of my own designs and I always return to the Blacks......mainly because of the reliability.

P.S. I'm not a paid salesperson or company representative:lol:

Edited by Sk8man