New, from Pennsylvania

51 yo mom to three kids. We live near Harrisburg, PA, but we have an old (very old) cabin near North Pond, Sandy Creek. My dad used to fish all the time, until he passed away in 1999.

My youngest kid is 11yo, and last year, he took to fishing with a vengeance. My husband does not fish and has no interest, so by default, I'm now an angler, as well. We've been learning slowly, mostly hauling bass out of the lakes and rivers in the Central PA area. Last week, my son took part in his first bass tournament, and at the tournament, he learned about all the new rods and reels he needs. If anything, this hobby is encouraging him to find ways to make money to pay for more gear.

We head up to the lake once a year, usually, but now that we're back into fishing (with my dad watching over), we'll be up more often. No boat (yet...and not for a while), but we're trying out the creeks and rivers in the area. My son desperately wants to get on the big water and catch trout and salmon. We're working on it.

Hope to learn from everyone on the forum and looking forward to getting  up to the lake in a week or so.

Welcome to LOU.  I'm sure your son will progress and find his way to more gear. I still remember ogling all the lures and rod and reels in the sports shop in town when I had my paper route and saying to myself 'someday I'm going to have that stuff"  and now years later I am wondering how to trim it down :lol:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sk8man said:

Welcome to LOU.  I'm sure your son will progress and find his way to more gear. I still remember ogling all the lures and rod and reels in the sports shop in town when I had my paper route and saying to myself 'someday I'm going to have that stuff"  and now years later I am wondering how to trim it down :lol:

I knew we were in deep when he asked for gift cards to a local tackle shop for his birthday instead of video games (which I am NOT complaining about. :) )

His other hobby is ice hockey, so this kid is going to need a few part time jobs to support his habits. He already has the truck and boat that he's going to drive picked out. Kid's obsessed, lol.

There are a lot of worse things out there so...let his obsession take hold and keep him interested and away from the other less productive things and he'll be fine. Your support will go a long way too.....

• Like 1

When I was his age I remember fishing on the shore or piers in FAir Haven, watching as the big boats went by to catch trout and Salmon.  I remember telling my Grandpa, Dad, (Both deceased) and Uncle how one day I would own a boat just like that. Now at 36 I finally made the dream a reality!! So tell him to never give up!!

• Like 1