keeping goby off the hook

BeerTooth

Last time I was up on Cayuga fishing for yellow perch with my kids, they were catching 3 round goby for every perch.  Is there any way to avoid the goby stealing bait?  We usually cast a drop shot rig with some live bait right off the dock.  That worked fine for years, but it seems like the goby are getting more plentiful in my area.  Is there a certain water depth to find perch without goby?  Or any type of bait or rig the goby won't hit?

Gobies are very bottom oriented. Getting the bait up off the bottom aways  (e.g. bobbers with suspended small jig?)

Edited by Sk8man

Gulp Minnows in Emerald Shiner or Smelt on dropshot AT LEAST 18" off bottom have worked for me in Goby infested waters.

You can rig a second one close to the bottom with out a hook to keep the Gobies busy, but they are persistant buggers.

thanks guys!  Had a lot of success with live bait (nightcrawlers and perch minnows) under a bobber about 18" down.  Kids filled up two stringers with yellow perch, and only 2 gobies the entire weekend.

I'll pick up some Gulp minnows for the next trip - do you get the smallest size for perch?  I see they sell them from 1" up to 4" long in various color patterns

• 3 weeks later...