Question on zebra mussels in stern drive

momay4000

Hello gang,

Quick question - I took my boat out of the water last weekend after being in a slip in I-Bay the entire summer. I typically use the boat 1-2X/week and it never overheated the entire year.

When I was cleaning it up last week, I noticed the water coolant intake on the stern drive (Merc Alpha one drive) was absolutely packed with zebra mussels. Does anyone have an idea to prevent this from happening next year (it's impossible to tilt the drive completely out of the water), or could the rest of the engine be at risk for the mussels?

Thanks guys/gals,

- Chris

Move your boat out of Irondequiot Bay. I had the same problem in the bay until I moved to Sandy Creek. For what ever reason, the zebras don't get in my drive now. I talked to my old mechanic and he said there is nothing you can do about it. They get into the drive in the larva stage and grow in there.

Thanks Gambler -

I hope the warm water in the engine block is hot enough to kill the larvae in the engine, but man they were really packed in the drive....

Thx for the advice,

Chris

You're probably going to have to pull the unit apart & scrape any adults out, shells etc, if you have overheating.

Here's an idea for any marina owners out there. Couple times a year offer to pull boats out & run lower units in a barrel of this solution. KCl - potassium chloride (not chlorine!)

http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/quagga/pdf ... ection.pdf

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Dear MM4000,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I haven't seen this problem yet on boats that have been trailered. I would bet that you haven't started the boat every two weeks. Routine running will remove the "villagers" in the larvae stage (feel like 220 sandpaper). I saw a Mercruiser drive that sat in Shumways w/o moving/running for 5 months a while back. The drive was just a big lump of Zebra's!!! I saw a buoy that was in the water @ the Genny/Barge Canal Intersection....Buoy had to be removed & cleaned because it was sinking! These little guys only get to 1/2 inch in size, but can cause boat problems if equipment is left unused in the water! They prefer aluminum & metal first, Bottom paint does ruin their day!

Be sure and remove the outdrive intake water strainer (on the lower unit) and remove any critters. Good time to pull the lower gear case and replace the water pump impeller. I would bet you are going to find them inside the vertical pick up pipe below the pump.

Sincerely,

Jet Boat Bill

Thanks for the advice Bill,

I will pull everything and take a look. Interestingly, the longest the boat sat without being run was probably 7 days. We took it out every weekend, and like I said earlier it's never overheated. I might consider putting the boat in a hoist next year.......

I'll keep you all posted after I remove the case and take a peek....

Thanks again to everyone for the advice,

- Chris

Years ago I worked for a charter based out of Shumway. He wasn't very busy & had more money than brains. They got into both inboards (350's) hard to have major work done. It was a beutiful boat to work on though, brand new 28' Welcraft Costal, loaded with newest at the time electronics. This was back in the early 90's, I can't imagine it's gotten better.