Just a random question.  Thinking about doing an evening trip sometime and maybe a morning trip the following morning.  Does anyone leave their boat on the trailer at the launch?  Is that allowed?  Advisable?  

Obviously I'd have a hitch lock on the trailer and I'd have to pull all of my rods and tackle off the boat but would my riggers be ok?  I'm just trying to figure out a way to save almost 2 hours of tow time and the associated gas money in the truck to fish back to back days.  

• Like 1

Fair Haven Beach State park you could just pay the $16 and get a campsite for the night and park there with no issues. The launch is right there in the park anyway, not to mention day use/launch fee is I think $10 and would be included if you got a campsite.

Edited by FishingFool34

I get a slip for the night and then park the trailer at the launch. It's a little more expensive but saves you 2 launch fees and some time in the morning.

I've done it at Newfane, Ernst's and Wright's.

Edited by Chowdaire
Added parking

From the website:

"DEC manages over 395 boating and fishing access facilities. We do our best to keep these sites clean and safe, but if you see something that is out of order or have a question or concern about a particular site, send a message to [email protected]."

That site is remote in terms of watchful eyes, but easily accessed from the Parkway.  I think leaving a boat there unattended would be very risky.

I know from experience in the Adirondacks that is against the law to store personal property on State Land.  I also know that State Fishing Access sites do not allow overnight camping, which includes sleeping in your car or on your boat.  So my guess is that, aside from the risk of vandalism to the boat,  you might also be risking a ticket.  The Lakeshore property owners out there are  fair piece away, but it only takes one to make a phone call, and they are very jealous about their privacy and property rights.   But the link above should get you a definitive answer.

1 hour ago, PhlyanPan said:

I fish mostly out of Sandy Creek these days so I was thinking specifically about the state launch.  

I wouldn't recommend leaving your boat there unattended overnight. I have seen evidence (broken window glass) of vehicle break ins in the lot, and have directly spoken with a person who had his vehicle broken into while fishing during the day. To leave anything of value in that lot overnight would be a crap shoot. 

Renting a campsite at Hamlin Beach would be a better option.

Edited by Traveling Circus

I wouldn't recommend leaving your boat there unattended overnight. I have seen evidence (broken window glass) of vehicle break ins in the lot, and have directly spoken with a person who had his vehicle broken into while fishing during the day. To leave anything of value in that lot overnight would be a crap shoot. 

Renting a campsite at Hamlin Beach would be a better option.

X2

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Call tom at east fork marina, 2 min from launch. I'm pretty sure he'll let you park it there for a modest fee. Nice guy and one of the top mechanics around. Might have an empty slip for the night if you're lucky. 

Edited by Steve.e

Tom at East fork is a great guy and has a launch there also.  I don't think he has any slips open. We keep our boat right next door at Sleepy Hollow.  Frank is also a great guy and i'm positive he has a few slips available. Then you don't have to worry about all the boats at the state launch.