Where to take a captains license test

Hey fellas got a question and anyone with some knowledge on this subject that can help me i would much appreciate it.  I am from the scranton pa area and have taken a few trips this year to Lake Ontario and have done rather well hokking up with browns and kings.  I run a 1988 bayliner trophy 2460 but these trips are getting expense and i was thinking of doin part time charters on the weekend. What all do i need to legally become a charter? I just got a quote from an insurance company with $1,000,000 liability and now looking into my uscg captains license.  The courses ive seen online cost $595 for the course.  Is this all i need is the insurance on boat and license? Also can you guys recommend a website that i can take the course online.    Thank you.  Mike

Hey fellas got a question and anyone with some knowledge on this subject that can help me i would much appreciate it.  I am from the scranton pa area and have taken a few trips this year to Lake Ontario and have done rather well hokking up with browns and kings.  I run a 1988 bayliner trophy 2460 but these trips are getting expense and i was thinking of doin part time charters on the weekend. What all do i need to legally become a charter? I just got a quote from an insurance company with $1,000,000 liability and now looking into my uscg captains license.  The courses ive seen online cost $595 for the course.  Is this all i need is the insurance on boat and license? Also can you guys recommend a website that i can take the course online.    Thank you.  Mike

There is a lot to be a charter captain other than insurance and license. Such as must be part of a drug testing program, 1st aid and cpr, commercial equipment such as type 1 life jackets, physical, homeland security background check, and a few other things I may have forgotten.

Most of us have gotten our training and testing done through sea tech marine. Dennis is out of buffalo ny (I believe) and is by far one of the best. I can’t speak about an online coarse however I will tell you that passing the nav rules part of the exam is just about impossible without having it taught to you.

I too am a part time weekend captain as I have a full time job, part time job, and kids in travel sports all year. I can tell you that once you add in all of your cost (lodging, car fuel, and meals), you will end up pricing yourself above most full time captains. To make enough to pay the dockage and days fuel you would need to book trips all weekend. Not trying to be a downer, but there is a lot to it.

Just my 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yes. SeaTech is a good place to get your license, as well as a few others. I went the online route, and it worked well for me, but was not any easier. I used Mariners Learning System.  I had to study, study, study for the Rules of the Road portion. Once you complete the online portion, you have to sit for the USCG registered exam and pass every part with high marks. They don't let you scrape by. Yes, you must submit to, and pass a drug test. You must submit to and pass a physical. You must submit documentation of sea service time that is quite extensive. The type and location of service dictates what type of license you are eligible for. You must show current first aid and  CPR.  Have an affidavit of your identity notorized, get your TWIC card (background check).  Once you have all your ducks in a row(about 30 pages worth), you send it all in and wait. Then wait some more. Then practice your patience skills. If there is anything amiss, they(USCG) will notify you in coded language, and ask to have it fixed. Be very diligent with your application. Everything must be perfect. I just went through the process at this time last year. I am thankful I did it, but it takes time, patience and some $$. I figure it cost me about $1000-1200 all told. Hope that helps. 

Yes to sea tech, great class, you need the drug consortium, the twic card, the c.p.r. card, than only comes the boat stuff, new life vest, the good ones with lights and whistles, throw ring, boat placards,   ya keep looking, its a good deal of work but worth it,   i got mine 3 yrs ago and have done two charters last yr and three this yr,  this is suppose to be just for fun...

good luck Rick

Thank you for the detailed information.   Like i said by no means am i trying to make a living off this.  I am very new to the lake and thought it would be ideal to have a captains license and be able to charge for fishing trips and not get into any kind of trouble doing it.  If i broke even at the end of the year i would be trilled cause then my personal trips with friends and family wouldnt cost me a thing.  But at least i got somewhere to start.  Thanks again guys