Video on gobie on bass spawn

Too bad the DEC will not make a common sense adjust to the bass season until there is a real problem. Always better to be reactive i guess.
First or second week of July opener would be fine by me for bass.... best fishing is later in the year anyway. Would love to see population improve.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I simply don't fish for bass or panfish in cayuga or seneca any longer.. I have  been doing that type of fishing at skaneateles  or Keuka pass few years... Same thing happens with sunfish.. remove a sunfish from its bed, and its over run by those ugly little bastards.. makes me sick, when I think of the fishing I and my sons enjoyed on cayuga and seneca  every summer.. I hope those ugly slimy little demons NEVER make it to the Finger lakes where they currently don't exist... bob

• 2 months later...
On 7/6/2018 at 6:47 AM, Organized Chaos said:

Bass should be allowed to be fished until May 1st, then close the season until JULY 1. Shouldn’t be that difficult to do the Great Lakes have special regulations anyway. If they were salmon being destroyed you would see the change.

so true!!

• 4 months later...

Great video. Thanks for posting. From what I have understand, they also steal the eggs from the nest if the bass is pulled off the nest. That is probably even more devastating because they can probably clean them out in a shorter time. So that is another big argument against the catch and release season. Maybe they can allow it in the finger lakes that do not have gobies and other lakes that have no gobies.

The gobies are bad on muskellunge eggs because they are broadcast spawners and do not guard eggs. I don't think the biologists know if they also go after the muskellunge fry.

If it keeps up the way it is, I wonder if the gobies could potentially wipe out all it's predators by eating their eggs and their young. I know there is a lot of concern of that in regard to muskies in the SLR. For the bass, at least the situation could be partially mitigated by ending the C&R in all gobie waters.Maybe they could also restrict SMB inclusion in early season bass tournaments in gobie waters. Also, there are some professional bass tournaments where each contestant has an official on the boat who weighs and releases each bass as they are caught but that still might not help in the case of ripping them off the beds.

As far as getting the DEC to consider changing regulations, this video is the first step. The second step would be to convince the fishing community that change is needed. This conversation would have to be spread around. If they see enough support for change, it might eventually happen.

Edited by muskiedreams

• 3 years later...