Oneida lake

Well finally made up to Oneida lake it had been 25- 30 years since I was there last so it was all new to me , its hard finding places to stay online before you get there and see whats going on but i got alot of tips on here which helped alot .I 'll try and point out some things that I think will help others going up for the first time . One tip I learned on here was to not use the left side of the ramp at south shore boat ramp and this was a big help as I saw guys using it and they struggled to load there boat big time but another word to the wise is to stay right of the island on the way out there are no buoys at all and it goes right to 1 foot deep in know time on the left side so go right of the island as its not marked .Godfrey point ramp north shore is only one lane and could be a nightmare on a busy day it would be crazy with only half a dozen boats trying to get in or out at the same time . Motels in Canastota all you have now is the Days inn , the other one Graziano's is closed but the days inn is fine and reasonable but your 4 miles from the lake south shore .We set up riggers and leadcore for walleye and did fairly well would had are limit if I hadn't lost 3 or 4 at the boat , next time I would like to try casting blade baits and jigs and see how it works and finding some sm bass .

• Like 1

I noticed alot of drifters seemed like the go to method up there , using bow mounted trolling motor for steering , Anyone know what there using for weight to get nite crawler rigs down ,do they use bait walkers or just simple three way swivels .Also surprised at the size of the waves for very little wind , the one day current wind was posted at 6 mpg but we had 2 to 3 footers out there out of the east .10mph one day seemed like a blow out not sure if it was fishable unless you could get out of the wind behind a island or point that was around noon .

Yeah I didnt see many trollers either , from what I saw it was all drifters . I was trolling mainly for eyes leadcore and downriggers  didn't expect any bass that would have been a nice bonus .I noticed to the bite seems to stop pretty early !!!