Fleas ?>  does anyone have a good way to deal with them?

There are some lines that they say will help like Flea flicker

does anyone have and experience with them?

A couple choices 30 lb Big Game monofilament or Bloodrun Sea Flee 30 lb test for main lines on riggers with fluoro leaders. You may get a few fleas at connection points but they both work pretty well in keeping the pests off for reduced at least. I say reduced because when the fleas are very thick (and they vary in concentrations throughout the water column and the lake itself (which is why some folks get them and others don't have the problem) and although the increased diameter of the line and the smooth surface of it may shed fleas in normal concentrations when really thick they may clog up nearly anything put down there. I  have had them prevent 150 lb downrigger wire from coming through the guide.

flearigger.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

4 hours ago, Charlie P said:

My son was out of Braddocks today and he said there here. It was nice while it lasted, hate em.

We thought it was fleas we were dealing with on Friday out of I-Bay when actually its cottonwood clumps sticking to the line. Very hard to pick off but no odor like fleas. It had a greenish color to it from being in the water awhile. Fleas will be along when water warms

• Like 1

I was out of I bay last night and this am (good king bite btw) and the fleas are definitely here. They were clumping so bad up in my twilly tips i had to stop reeling a few times to cut them off with scissors.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 2

Fleas are the worst I've ever seen but only been fishing for 6yrs on the lake.  I had a ball of fleas as big around as my fist on my right rigger down line this a.m.  Also there seems to be some green scum that the fleas get between and it just causes them to bunch up like they did.  I ended cutting the lines on both riggers to get the spoon and swivel and discarded the rest.

I just ordered 2 300 yd spools from Fish USA of the blood run mono.  Will be here thurs or fri.  Don't know if I'll fish till I get it.  The were so thick on my rigger line it was jamming up at the end of the rigger.  

Suttontroller94 makes a good point. I think the really bothersome ones on the Fingers may be the fishook waterfleas whereas the spiny waterfleas seem to clump up better and fall off. The other seem more like the cottonwood which is a real PIA to remove when thick. As I mentioned before when they are Really thick they will cling to anything. If the Sea Flee is kept on multiple years it seems to lose a bit of the slick outer coating which may allow the fleas to cling better too.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

A great way to remove fleas off of wire if you don't already know this trick is to run the smooth part of a screw driver back and forth on the wire. You can clear a 3 foot section of wire in less than 5 seconds.  No need to "pick" them off.

• Like 1

A great way to remove fleas off of wire if you don't already know this trick is to run the smooth part of a screw driver back and forth on the wire. You can clear a 3 foot section of wire in less than 5 seconds.  No need to "pick" them off.
Any trick for mono, Saturday and Sunday my lines looked like they had Christmas light hanging off them, little blobs every 6 inches.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yes the round shaft.  Over the weekend I used a pair of needle nose to clear fleas as my screw driver was left at home.  Anything smooth metal you can run up and down the wire will clear them.  Unfortunately, I don't have a method for mono other than pick them off.

1 hour ago, TBrovata said:

Yes the round shaft.  Over the weekend I used a pair of needle nose to clear fleas as my screw driver was left at home.  Anything smooth metal you can run up and down the wire will clear them.  Unfortunately, I don't have a method for mono other than pick them off.

Lol my philiips head screwdriver became my flea flicker all weekend seemed if u got the wire tight and tapped it with the screw driver it would come off. But our 30# big game was even no match this weekend we aso lost a few fish on wire because of blcked twili tips. I remember last years flees flicking off easy these ones just clump up and stick

• Like 1

Spliced in 100-120’ of 50lb mono today. That fixed it, as long as the 30lb does not stay in the water. They were bad out of Oz today!!

Capt Rich.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I agree with UNreel, that we were dealing more with cottonwood, than fleas.  You can rid the fleas by "'sawing'"it off of the wire, but this weekend nothing worked other than picking it off.  Twillie tips were getting completely clogged.  Real PITA

• Like 1