Johnson J6REDS 6.0 1996

Ended up getting it to fire. Didn't start. Took the fuel line off from the carb and pulled it over to see if carb was getting fuel without pumping it in by the prime bulb... No fuel. Squeeze... Fuel... Thinking fuel pump? Where can I order parts? Kickers are pretty new to me. But look simple.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

So yeah that's what I did this morning. Fired up. Died out when fuel ran out in the bowl. Fuel pump I assume... Any idea where to get one near Waterloo or Ithaca on a Sunday? Moore's is closed. Barret do Johnson's? Really like to try it out before back to work tomorrow... [emoji31]

So yeah that's what I did this morning. Fired up. Died out when fuel ran out in the bowl. Fuel pump I assume... Any idea where to get one near Waterloo or Ithaca on a Sunday? Moore's is closed. Barret do Johnson's? Really like to try it out before back to work tomorrow... [emoji31]

Barrets don't do OMC you can check Roy Marina he might have a used part kicking around Seager Marine in Canandaigua I don't think I might be open on Sundays I'm sure it'll have to be an ordered part, There's a Place South of Kings Ferry Boneyard I don't know the name of it offhand on the right hand side heading south he's got a lot of parts used parts

Sent from my XT1609 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

23 minutes ago, FishingTheFL said:
They had the gas fitting yesterday. Probably will have to order... Another week of work [emoji106][emoji23]

I have had OMC kickers all my boating life . Never had a fuel pump fail. Aren't they vacuum operated I know they have a screen inside of them I would  unscrew the the pump and check the screen and check to see it doesn't have a vacuum leak I'd have to look at mine again to see how it operates been awhile

Sent from my XT1609 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by fisherdude

Maybe it's a vacuum leak. There is a zip tie missing from the line to carb. Also the hose clamp I have on gas fitting sucks... Just made with little light.i have the gas tank above the motor so that garvitg could feed it but eventually it stalls out from lack of fuel... Order a new pump from Roy's either way. 2 screws to replace it and $80 something isn't to bad... Get the pump kit while I am at it

Save your 80 bucks and do as was mentioned above. Pull the carb & put a kit in it, fuel pump works off crankcase pulse & just turning it over by hand will not make it pump fuel, nor is it a test to see if its ok, engine has to be running for it to operate. 

So I'm still waiting for a carb kit and fuel pump( didn't feel like doing the rebuild )... Played with the motor more. I got it to idle at lower rpms. Seems the bulb won't stay full of gas and cause the motor to die out. As long as I give the primer bulb(inline) a small squeeze to make sure it stays hard it will idle. Take it this is still the carb? I'm using a Walmart tank and Attwood fuel line... Seems like I had this issue towards the end of my old kicker. Also can't set the tank on the floor or blub goes empty... Thought there might be a leak in the lines?

Tyia.

• 1 month later...

So I ended up getting the work done ( carb kit/ fuel pump )... Motor idles/runs but when trolling the speed keeps picking up and dropping down. Seems every 2 mins I am adjusting throttle... Almost pointless to have an ez-steer... Was this something the shop should of taken care off when carb was rebuilt or something else wrong? Don't think I'll be going there again... They charged me $130 for the fuel pump when Roy's quoted me $80... Carb kit price was also inflated... It also seems like a lot of unburnt fuel coming out.

Mike I'm no mechanic but maybe check the lean rich fuel mixture position of the knob and the choke for starters? Is the bulb still going soft in the fuel line and air getting in?

No bulb problem. I'm thinking they didn't tune it? Maybe it's me walking from stern to bow and motor postion when I walk forward? Motor seems to stay same speed if I sit in the back which I'm stuck doing now that I noticed the bracket broke for the easier steer. I should know if that's the issue in a few hours after work.

Gotta make some money before I can spend more on in.

I'll get ahold of him on here. I'm currently without a vechile anyway. Stupid Ford f350 is. 2002 and they already stopped making parts for my truck... Never buy a Ford again... Hopefully the part the dealer found is a match... Listing the truck for sale if is the right one... And getting a new truck...