Fish hawk

We fished out of the oak on Sunday afternoon. It seemed like our speed was way way way to fast for what the fishhawk was telling us. I'm assuming the currents were going pretty good down 90-100 feet. At one point when we were fighting a fish it was reading 0.5mph and our rods looked about like you would want them too. At 1.8-2.0 they looked like they wanted to snap in half.IMG_3195.JPG We also lost our down temp. We put fresh batteries in and that didn't seem to make any difference.Does anyone ever have to get their fish hawk calibrated or updated? How does that work?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BALLS DEEP said:

We fished out of the oak on Sunday afternoon. It seemed like our speed was way way way to fast for what the fishhawk was telling us. I'm assuming the currents were going pretty good down 90-100 feet. At one point when we were fighting a fish it was reading 0.5mph and our rods looked about like you would want them too. At 1.8-2.0 they looked like they wanted to snap in half.IMG_3195.JPG We also lost our down temp. We put fresh batteries in and that didn't seem to make any difference.Does anyone ever have to get their fish hawk calibrated or updated? How does that work?

I had the same problem with mine. It's a problem with the probe. Call Trevor at Fishhawk. They have great customer service. Sent mine in and couldn't be repaired. They sent me a new one. 

At the Oak last weekend if you were trolling west(into the waves) you really had to give it speed. Trolling east we could barely get down to 2.6 MPH without bags.

Your Fish Hawk was probably right. There was a lot of debris in the water  but it only affected my Fish Hawk once and I had to pull it and clean the wheel.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Trust your electronics...... weird currents...... and the lake is setting back up

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

There is a problem with that statement.... trust your temp on your electronics, but necessarily the speed. I can give you numerous examples of where my FH was reading 2.4-2.6 and my dipseys and cables were almost straight down, and or not cracked over to show that speed. I would keep bumping up the speed until I got the angle and the bend I was looking for, reading was 3.4-3.7 on FH and bingo, rods started firing. I was not the only one seeing the same thing. You have to read more than just your electronics, you need to be able to see what the lake and the fish are telling you!!! Your electronics will give you a starting point, but read what all of the other aspects are telling you!!! Lately with these crazy currents i have been over 3.0 on the FH more than I have been under. If you are not learning something new every time you are out, then you are not being very observant. Good luck.

Capt Rich.

• Like 1

Trust your electronics...... weird currents...... and the lake is setting back up

There is a problem with that statement.... trust your temp on your electronics, but not necessarily the speed. I can give you numerous examples of where my FH was reading 2.4-2.6 and my dipseys and cables were almost straight down, and or not cracked over to show that speed. I would keep bumping up the speed until I got the angle and the bend I was looking for, reading was 3.4-3.7 on FH and bingo, rods started firing. I was not the only one seeing the same thing. You have to read more than just your electronics, you need to be able to see what the lake and the fish are telling you!!! Your electronics will give you a starting point, but read what all of the other aspects are telling you!!! Lately with these crazy currents i have been over 3.0 on the FH more than I have been under. If you are not learning something new every time you are out, then you are not being very observant. Good luck.

Capt Rich.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry jay, have to disagree.. I have had numerous days this season when my hawk was reading 2.5, but my divers and cables said way slower. Bump it up to 3.4-3.7 on FH and get bit. This season has been very weird, a lot of days needed to have 3.4-3-7 to get bit on numerous Boats. Most didn’t believe it until they tried it....

On August 6, 2018 at 2:53 PM, Rich D said:

Sorry jay, have to disagree.. I have had numerous days this season when my hawk was reading 2.5, but my divers and cables said way slower. Bump it up to 3.4-3.7 on FH and get bit. This season has been very weird, a lot of days needed to have 3.4-3-7 to get bit on numerous Boats. Most didn’t believe it until they tried it....

I agree with Rich here. I use the FH as a guide not the end all be all. I trust the bend and action of my diver rods as much if not more.

Had a day without the down speed as one of the retaining rings on my FH wheel fell off so we read the divers & rigger cables. Ended up being one of the best evenings of the season. Thankfully we still had down temp :)

What frequency were u runnin on your fish finder, i have a totalscan mounted by my fishhawk that will wreck havoc on the temp on meduim chirp and even on 83khz. My p66 runnin 50khz does not seem to affect it. Try shutting down your sonar when its acting up. And btw my top number always runs high i trust my gps speed more than the top number on the fh