Radar & mounting suggestions

Fishtails

I'm looking into putting radar on my boat. I'm a little stumped as to where to put the dome on my boat. The flybridge takes up my hardtop space and I really don't want it mounted on the front of the hardtop/bridge If I can at all avoid it.

Do most of you have a 2kw or 4 kw ? I'd like to go 4 kw, but that presents me with an even larger dome.

I don't want it to look out of place on the boat. I'm concerned the smaller Kw domes and smaller displays will just be a waste.

Here is the boat......Any thoughts?

Pqxebv9.jpg

PqxfdlS.jpg

PqxfRg9.jpg

Rod,

The bridge boats I've seen with radar usually have a metal tube radar arch (atlantic tower type) off the bridge. It raises your overall hight some (may be an issues with overhead clearances at bridges)but it's the only real solution I can think of. I'll see if I can find some examples and post some pics.

Tim

Not tall enough Rick. Ya gotta take into account a 6 ft person may go up on the bridge, so even to duck under it I'd think It needs to be around 5ft If It were to be an arch. The top of the boat Is already 11+ ft off the ground on the trailer :shock: It would have to collapse or be easy to remove.

Dear FT,

Many ?????? Are you going to trailer the boat? How many times have you used the flybridge this year? You will have a safety issue with anyone on the bridge during radar operation. I would choose a 4 KW fixed dome unit in color! ...16 mile range. This is the best unit for navigation in any weather conditions and is great for tracking bad thunderstorms.

If you are going to trailer down the hwy. you will need a "QD" removable arch. A vertical mast mounted in the center floor of the F.B. is the lowest cost and easily removable for trailering. I have built both. A custom arch will cost as much as the radar. You can make a QD vertical post yourself. Let me know your decision as I have one floor mount base in excess at the moment.

Sincerely,

Jet Boat Bill

Jet Boat Bill,

Yes, I trailer it often to tournaments around the lake. Could you expand on the dangers of having someone on the bridge with the radar.

I seldom use it, but my kids love to ride up there. I don't see any reason I would need it on In those situations though. Are you talking about a strait verticle pole with a top and bottom plate? If I were to go that route....how high? Not sure how that would look?

Rick....I'm affraid yours would be overpowering for my bridge. I think It would look out of place, but I could be wrong?

Dear Ft,

The radar puts out electro magnetic radiation which is very harmfull to living beings. Contact your radar mfg and he will show you the radar beam shape in vertical and what the safe zones have to be. You would not want to have anyone on the bridge during radar operation.

I ran a 4 KW off a 27 Searay FBSF ('86 to "93)with a fold down arch mounted on side hand rails off the bridge. (took 20 minutes to set up) The rig was 13 ft 6 inchs tall when on the trailer.( FB steering wheel was high point!)Got to know every hwy. bridge on route 18 and on the Canadian side also!

I think a short post off the front of your FB would be adequate, look good and don't operate the radar with anyone on the bridge. I would try to eliminate the folding setup. Too much time lost putting the arch up before launching. Wiring harness is substanial size also (about 1 1/4 inch diameter)

The radar is the best safety tool on the boat. Picked up a 14' aluminum canoe off Toronto @ a half a mile one time on a very dark night! while running at cruise speed...classified. Will not pick up a wooden 14' boat that has a low profile. Will locate any fisherman in the radar range (16 miles) You can navigate carefully in near zero visibility with the unit on the 1/4 mile range also. Even rescued some lost Captains off Sandy Creek (THICK FOG) one day from 4 miles away....used the radar track mode and the VHF to direct them into the narrow entrance. Fishing was real slow that day anyways.

Sincerely,

Jet Boat Bill

They do look similar. Mine is smaller (24 ft) than yours with twin 6 cyl mercruiser 165's. Very stable boats In rough seas...your gonna love it!

My solution was to have a friend build me a custom arch that easily folds back with the removal of about 6 bolts. I went with a Raymarine 48 nm radar that's on it's way, as is a new bimini that should allow us to be on the bridge with the radar operating. It should all be done within two weeks and I'll post some pictures when it's done :lol:

Rod, Looking forward to your pics when completed. For I considered putting radar on my boat as well. J. B. Bill gave some good info, as others did as well, but glad to see you went with radar greater than the 16N.M.- I talked to several charter capts, and they felt as do I, that at that range it is to marginal. Best of luck with the arch and radar-Duane

Rod, how do you like the bridge? I really was not looking for a bridge model but wound up with one. Never been on another boat with a bridge. I am sure on a calm day my kids will be all over that bridge. Do you have an arch on the back to accomadate rod holders and lights? I am looking for some ideas to put one on mine. The ladder will limit space so I figure I will work from the port side of the ladder

to the port side of the hardtop. I have to figure out how to mount everything and not interfere with the canvas. Your boat looks a lot bigger than 24' Nice rig!

• 1 month later...

Rod,

As far as mounting I would recommend an arch with hinged feet (Atlantic towers offers them) and I believe you have Raymarine RL70crc on your boat you may be able to get a dome in that vintage and be all set. If not a C series with a 2 kw is all thats needed the 4kw would look retarded as its quite large. Let me know if you need pricing I can beet just about anybody. See you in the spring.

Kevin

Hey Kevin

I'm hoping you have room for me again In the spring, I emailed you a couple weeks back.

I will be talking with you about a Raymarine auto Pilot when I'm out there. If I have any $$ left by then I really want to get one Installed. I almost went with the Raymarine Radar, but opted at the last minute to go with a Furuno 1731 36 nm with the 4kw dome. I had a buddy make a hinged arch, and other than an Initial problem with the type of fasteners that he used In the hollow fiberglass, It has worked out perfectly. It came loose on our first trip out on the ocean when we got rocked In some big swells, but after changing the fasteners It was rock solid the rest of the season and It breaks down In like 5 min. Never had radar on a boat before, It's really cool!!

We are really looking forward to spending the month of May In Wilson again. The Scotty Is gonna make It that much better ;)

Ha Ha....I'm not to worried about that Bob :lol:

I never did post those pics, so here they are. Nothin fancy, but It does the job. All that's left to do In the spring Is to shorten the bimini by 5" and run the light wire inside the tube :D

SEARAY007_EDITED.jpg

SEARAY006_edited.jpg

SEARAY005_edited-1.jpg

Removal of a few bolts allows It to lay down for travel

SEARAY005_EDITED.jpg