Is there a new "super" flea out this year.

I have battled fleas since, well forever. But, yesterday out of I-Bay I ended up with the nastiest brown water fleas. Not your normal translucent fleas. These were aggressive fleas. I say that because you can't remove them. They are currently wound up on my reels. I bought a new reel from BEFT yesterday and had them spool it up. Now, 100 feet into the spool where the fleas were the line is all chaffed. The fleas "chomped" on the line and I am not sure the line is any good any more. Has anyone else discovered this new bread of flea. They will not budge, and are dark brown.

The Fishook waterfleas are probably a factor and it may be them as well in addition to the cottonwood as they seem to be much more difficult to disengagfe from lines. The Spiny waterfleas seem to clump up and you can usually just pinch them or even just shake the wire line to rid them.

• Like 1

Yea, my opinion, doesn’t seem to be cotton wood but a species that doesn’t seem to act like the normal flea you can at least slide down or whip the line off. These seem to stick to the line. Ugly.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

I agree, not cottonwood but something new. After trolling this morning we went screwing around for bass in 20 feet. The kids snoopy poles even got the new dark brown fleas jigging for bass. They are impossible to remove and tear up the line.

There is not a new flea that the DEC is aware, I believe what we are seeing is a very fast population rise of the fish hook flea. Every year we get 2-3 weeks of these then the water gets too hot and the spiny water fleas break out, which are easier to get rid of. Here is an article I found online.

https://www.in.gov/dnr/files/spiny_and_fishhook_water_flea.pdf

We will see how long they last this year, before we get some relief. What I had Monday was deff all fleas, when they dried, they just fell off the lines.

Capt Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

we had them .I got rid of some by turning on my pistol water spray,shook some .Big thing is check your rods more often the longer they are set the more the fleas.Fishing has been grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat.lol

1 hour ago, john1947 said:

we had them .I got rid of some by turning on my pistol water spray,shook some .Big thing is check your rods more often the longer they are set the more the fleas.Fishing has been grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat.lol

now I need a water hose/pump for the boat, great.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, pap said:

I heard that the flea flicker and the sea flee from blood run ain’t even working!!

Nope...30# flea flicker worked fine for me this past weekend.  I got Lucky and got my hands on a 2500 yd spool before it was gone.  Im gonna cry when i run out.

4 minutes ago, Fat Trout said:

Nope...30# flea flicker worked fine for me this past weekend.  I got Lucky and got my hands on a 2500 yd spool before it was gone.  Im gonna cry when i run out.

That certainly appeases my mind coming up Sunday till I feel like going home👍that’s what I have loaded on at least 6 of my set ups thanks for the heads up!!

Edited by pap
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, john1947 said:

Great idea. I’ve been cleaning em with a jet hose when I get home why not have it on the boat 

It is what I have been saying all along some of the lines work better than others when the fleas aren't HIGHLY CONCENTRATED but when they are in max. concentrations they will cling to about anything. The folks that are having apparent success in avoiding them and thinking they have miricle solutions are just not encountering these high concentrations. You have to wonder how the fish survive down there with the water clogged up like that.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1