Salmon in September

How long will a salmon fishing stay fairly good for into September. I don't have many weekends to fish until mid to late August. Also my boat is only 17 foot so I need to watch the forecast. Thanks to all

Sent from my SM-J327V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I meant the salmon fishing . Sorry for the autocorrect

Sent from my SM-J327V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

A couple things come to mind that are related to the above posts;

The adult salmon that are spawning and pre-spawning even become a very different target. They are no longer actively feeding so the approach is to irritate them into striking out of territorial aggression rather than evoking a feeding reponse so you use highly active bright lures and attractors to get them to bite. Hooks need to be very sharp and sturdy as their mouths harden during this time. They may be anyplace in the water or water column homing in on their stream of origin so the fishing around steam mouths etc. is a good idea. Water temps may mean virtually nothing to them. The other option when the fishing gets tough for them is to go after younger salmon often with steelies and cohos in the mix, but this often will take you out deeper and you will have to choose your days carefully. September can be a real questionmark weatherwise from year to year with very different water temp profiles and lake conditions so it is impossible to clearly predict from year to year what it will be like or what part of the month it will be like as well.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 2

On 7/7/2018 at 3:22 PM, jason said:

Stagging kings are easy to catch. Throw temps out window. Run less. 2 riggers 2 dypsy and maybe 2 coppers. Run 2.5 with meat rigs and flasher no more then 12ft off the ball. Keep your rigs up higher then normal.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

your "less" is my about my max! 6 rods. I will keep all of the above in mind for the staging kings, and also going out farther for youngers .