Spiny Water Flea BEST LINE?

Ace Charters recommends 40 lb Ande clear Mono on web page, they should have a clue what works.

Ace was even complaining about the build up on the 40lb the other day. I went to 50lb with no issues on the 50lb. As soon as the 30lb hit the water we had fleas. They are thicker this year than any other year I can remember.

Capt Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

X2 with Captain Rich.   I stripped off some of my normal duty 25 lb test Bull Buster and ran 225' of 50 lb Ande.  Just enough really to cover the max you are going to be fishing vertical.  Little to no fleas.  Good luck

We also have to realize that the fleas are minimal right now except east end, what we are seeing is rotten cottonweed, that is the brown crap that piles up just like fleas and you see it in big clumps floating around while trolling. The deeper you get the worse it is, no real answers for that you crept clearing lines every 10-15 minutes. As for fleas and line I use about 200 feet of Big Game 25# and then tie a leader from that to my spoons. I haven’t had any issues but as for a good line Ande is right up there. 

Sea-IV...you are spot on..Its the cottonwood for sure...Some fleas of course mixed in,but the cottonwood is definitely what is clogging up the reels and rod eyes. My question is,,,,,is it only on the surface and riding down the line and stacking up...Or is it in the water column from top to bottom and the line going to the ball is picking it up...I wouldnt think it would be suspended in column

2 hours ago, bluewater1861 said:

Sea-IV...you are spot on..Its the cottonwood for sure...Some fleas of course mixed in,but the cottonwood is definitely what is clogging up the reels and rod eyes. My question is,,,,,is it only on the surface and riding down the line and stacking up...Or is it in the water column from top to bottom and the line going to the ball is picking it up...I wouldnt think it would be suspended in column

From what I noticed the other day when out it looks to be the top 30’ of water column but don’t quote me on that. I was headed for deep water and we crossed a slick and omg it was like I was running 8# weights trolling at 5mph all the sudden and when I pulled lines it wa stop to bottom. That was over 300fow and when we came back inside it was as bad at all but still clogged everything up. I don’t think any Lb line will keep that off, really need a stiff blow out of South to send it offshore.