Shimano Talora Dipsey rods

Thanks, are the roller guide any smoother?

Under the right circumstances yes. However, roller rods need to be oriented in the rod holders to oppose the pull of the divers. If they’re oriented more than about 15-20 degrees either way the wire will walk up the rollers and rub the inside of the frames. They’re also a notably heavier rod with all the added guide weight.

The guy I fish with regularly runs mag divers on short 7’ roller Talora in the inside and reg divers on longer 10’ ring guide Talora on the outside. He’s happy with both. I’ve noticed that the 3 or so rollers near his rod tips have a lot of frame wear so there’s a good amount of torsional loading on these rods when pulling back and really loading the tip when fighting fish. This is not something that would cause wear on a ceramic ring guide.

There is a recommended freshwater maintenance interval for the AFTCO roller guides. Most people are unaware of that point.

Owner John's Custom Rods

Specializing in building Great Lakes trolling rods since 1979

First place winner of the 2016 World Rod Building Challenge

Under the right circumstances yes. However, roller rods need to be oriented in the rod holders to oppose the pull of the divers. If they’re oriented more than about 15-20 degrees either way the wire will walk up the rollers and rub the inside of the frames. They’re also a notably heavier rod with all the added guide weight.

The guy I fish with regularly runs mag divers on short 7’ roller Talora in the inside and reg divers on longer 10’ ring guide Talora on the outside. He’s happy with both. I’ve noticed that the 3 or so rollers near his rod tips have a lot of frame wear so there’s a good amount of torsional loading on these rods when pulling back and really loading the tip when fighting fish. This is not something that would cause wear on a ceramic ring guide.

There is a recommended freshwater maintenance interval for the AFTCO roller guides. Most people are unaware of that point.

Thanks John, I'm going to order them today

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I'm currently using 19 strand with my talora diver rods and am getting pig tails in the line. Will twilitips get rid of the pigtails? The rods are always kept in one piece and under tension.

They’ll reduce by not eliminate them.