How do you get fleas off

there is no easy way...a few years ago there was a line on the market called flea flikr.it worked..but #20 was like rope...i use dacron with a fluro. leader..connected with a small spro swivel...... i find the fleas relatively easy to  to shake off the dacron(even with a fish on) and the balance load up around the swivel.never on the leader...trust this helps somewhat

there is no easy way...a few years ago there was a line on the market called flea flikr.it worked..but #20 was like rope...i use dacron with a fluro. leader..connected with a small spro swivel...... i find the fleas relatively easy to  to shake off the dacron(even with a fish on) and the balance load up around the swivel.never on the leader...trust this helps somewhat
So is dacron different than the braided line?

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

The fleas have been so thick the past couple days that my downriggers have been shutting off on the way up. 50 pound test doesn't help and beating the lines on the water while reeling in is just a waster of energy. I spent more time yesterday cleaning lines than fishing and ultimately wound up running only 2 rods. Would really like to hear how the charter guys are fishing through this mess...8-[

-Steve D

• Like 2

With the mono I find that holding a section a flea covered line between your hands tightly and using your thumb or forefinger to snap or pluck the line sharply will clear them off.

Facebook-- Lake Ontario Trolling Discussion & Reports-- Posted today flat stick,like a 12" ruler,attach male Velcro to side of wood. Rub stick over tight line and fleas will stick to Velcro,then smack stick against something and fleas get flickered. Never tried it ,just relaying what I read.

• Like 1

Facebook-- Lake Ontario Trolling Discussion & Reports-- Posted today flat stick,like a 12" ruler,attach male Velcro to side of wood. Rub stick over tight line and fleas will stick to Velcro,then smack stick against something and fleas get flickered. Never tried it ,just relaying what I read.

Now that’s interesting!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Tried it. It did not work very well for us today.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Sad 1

Tried it. It did not work very well for us today.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Just went to Wally World and bought Velcro tape. Hope it works. Now I hear not so much. Worth a try. These fleas are terrible. Copper is great till you get in traffic and goodbye copper

• Like 1

Guy today mentioned spraying line/spool  with something silicone based , depending on what you feel comfortable putting on your line. I am sure there is something that they use for cooking that would be ok. Again like my last post, I have not tried it, just relaying info given to me.

Edited by Bozeman Bob

The Velcro stick works better than most things I’ve tried. Hold the line tight and “saw” the Velcro across the line versus sliding it up and down. I’ve found this to work better for me

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Guy today mentioned spraying line/spool  with something silicone based , depending on what you feel comfortable putting on your line. I am sure there is something that they use for cooking that would be ok. Again like my last post, I have not tried it, just relaying info given to me.

We tried armorall last week. Didn’t really seem to do much for what it’s worth. Line shined though!

I think it is one of those things kinda like health stuff: early intervention and  prevention is about what you are left with....and prevention is probably impossible....so that leaves early intervention which in this case means that although a MAJOR PIA lines need to be checked VERY frequently before the huge build ups. When you have multiple long setups out it becomes the task from hell and you have to ask yourself "What did I do in another life to deserve this" :lol:

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

Well I was all happy last week when my Blood Run 30lb sea flea line arrived.  Spooled it on and went out fishing out of Hughes.  What a waste of $40.  Truth be told I thought my 30lb Big Game which I removed, was better at repelling the fleas.  Hand lined 2 fish in with the Blood Run.  

I'm gonna try bow string wax on my line to see if that works.  Also Sting Ray that runs out of Hughes uses two .5" pipe hangers screwed together to get them off.  Just pinch the pipe cleaners when running the line down through them he says it zips them right off.  Also some fellas are running lead core and copper on there riggers with long leaders.  That seems to work the best it seems.  Blood Run does not!  I am a sucker for sure.  thanks

54 minutes ago, longbow said:

Well I was all happy last week when my Blood Run 30lb sea flea line arrived.  Spooled it on and went out fishing out of Hughes.  What a waste of $40.  Truth be told I thought my 30lb Big Game which I removed, was better at repelling the fleas.  Hand lined 2 fish in with the Blood Run.  

I'm gonna try bow string wax on my line to see if that works.  Also Sting Ray that runs out of Hughes uses two .5" pipe hangers screwed together to get them off.  Just pinch the pipe cleaners when running the line down through them he says it zips them right off.  Also some fellas are running lead core and copper on there riggers with long leaders.  That seems to work the best it seems.  Blood Run does not!  I am a sucker for sure.  thanks

Well makes me feel better that I'm not the only one that made that same mistake... I literally did the exact same thing Friday and fished with BR line Sat. It was just as bad, I've heard people having better luck with 40lb Big Game, I coulda done that for half the price of the BR. I was having to clean my riggers every 20 mins and wire every half hour. I think I had all lines in the water for maybe 15 mins out of every hour, sure takes alot of the fun out of it! Even worse when you mark a fish right where the line you're cleaning was supposed to be!

• Like 1