Ethenol Free octane question

Bad Habit

I've got a 1987 350 260 hp Mercruiser I.O. and have been using ethanol free, 91 octane gas from Fast Trac for the last few years. Now they have gone to 87 octane ethenol free instead. I'm thinking I need a higher octane for that motor but thought I would ask here. Thanks for any input. 

Not sure were you are but I noticed Sunoco in Ogdensburg had Rec 90. You could check your local Sunoco for one that possibly has this fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a 1984 Mercruiser 260 that ran on regular gas for the 20+ years I had it.  Shouldn’t be any problem to run 87 octane non ethanol in an 1987.  Don’t think you’ll notice the lower octane rating.

• 2 weeks later...

Be sure to buy some Lead Additive or you will be burning up your Valves.  had a 1988 PMC Chevy 350 that started off at 280 HP and after 4 rebuilds it was pushing over 600 HP out of it. They only last about 2,000 Hours between rebuilds.  a 1987 Motor required Lead Gasoline.

I was buying E-free from the Fastrack in Oswego for years, and last week when I went in for fuel,  the E-free sticker was taped over with a 10% ethanol sticker now being sold. Luckily I saw it before I put any in. I went over to the Valero instead.