Oneida or Erie?

Shellback

I'd like to get up for some walleye later this month. I fish with my wife who is handicapped, so a trolling bite is best for us. I just have a 16 foot Lund Alaskan tiller boat. It's 16' 10"s with a 82 inch beam, 50HP Honda.  Depending on the weather, I might have more opportunities to get out on Oneida versus Erie. I have a slide in truck camper, so we would also need a decent campground. If I was to travel to Barcelona, what winds do I have to look out for? 

really depands on where you want to fish,if you launch from godfrey point north winds are knot a issue,straight east or west winds is a issue anywhere east of the 2 main islands.as lond as the winds are 15mph and less you will be fine..and so long 4 now

Dont forget you have the  south shore boat ramp , check direction of the wind in the morning go to the ramp you will be fishing near that way if the wind comes up you don't have to try and cross the lake to get back , we used godfrey one day and it made it nice as we weren't far from it and when we were ready to leave it wasn't far away but its a one lane ramp only and could be really busy on a weekend trying to get out .

Either lake gets tricky quick. Less likely to encounter 4+ foot waves on Oneida but you can't compare the size difference on Erie. If your gonna be keeping the meat, limit is another thing to consider. Depending on length of your trip, you could limit out 2 or 3 days on Erie with 4-8# fish and have 2x the meat of 7 straight days on Oneida. I recently have been on the walleye program and did Oneida 2 weeks ago for a family vacation and have hit Erie 2x since that trip. I would pick Erie. There's lots of fish to be caught in places even if the lake is rocking. Inside the small boat harbor or just outside the breakwall is typically ok even with a blowing wind. Either choice, good luck and have fun !!

Sent from my XT1650 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

I have  a slightly smaller boat and fish both lakes.  The time of year you are talking about is generally good for both and you should average about four or five fishable days a week on both lakes.  If you want walleyes, NymphO is right on. I might add that you do not have to go to Barcelona to get them.  There are a few state parks along the Erie shore for camping around the Cat and the fishing there is pretty good.  If you do get a blow off day on Erie, you can take a short ride to the Niagara and catch bass or just visit the falls.

Thanks for all the replies!  The reports from Erie are outstanding! Seems like a no brainer to give it a try. I'm thinking about heading up on the 27th for 5 or 6 days. I guess the weather will determine my final destination. Should I bring my D/R's? 

Everybody's boat is different......... I would't launch in Erie without my riggers..... mostly it depends on how deep in the water column the fish are located. The deeper they are, the more likely your riggers will work well, and by the 27th there will be plenty of "deep" fish. Just don't be afraid to run your lures back off the cannonballs and make plenty of turns. And riggers can be set in a fraction of the time of core rods. 

Fishing Barcelona would be a good choice-deep water and usually fish right out front.  There is a campground nearby.  With an open boat like an Alaskan you’ll want waves less than 2 ft.  -wind direction to avoid west or southwest that comes up the length of the lake.  If it is rough from Barcelona, you can hop over the hill to Mayville on Rt 394 and fish Chautauqua.  Most days you can fish out of the wind there and walleye fishing has been good.  If you have riggers bring them likely by 27th fish will be quite a bit deeper than they are now.  Lake Erie United is starting to get more reports so that is a good site to check as well.  Enjoy your trip to Chautauqua County.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention that out of Barcelona you need to watch for perch net buoys.  Ask the harbor master when you launch and keep an eye out as you want to steer clear of them.  Small commercial fishery from that harbor.  Not a big deal once you know what they are.  

• Like 1

As I'm retired, thinking about arriving on a Sunday and fish during the weekdays. Shooting for the 29th of the month. Weather will be the key factor. I'll bring my riggers for sure. The wife and i will be camping out of my slide in camper. Just put A/C in it. We normally don't camp in the summer, just spring and fall.

As I'm retired, thinking about arriving on a Sunday and fish during the weekdays. Shooting for the 29th of the month. Weather will be the key factor. I'll bring my riggers for sure. The wife and i will be camping out of my slide in camper. Just put A/C in it. We normally don't camp in the summer, just spring and fall.
BuffaloIMG954392.jpg

Sent from my SM-T550 using Lake Ontario United mobile app