Oswego fishing report

Got out a little late today. Fished for 6 hours went 2 for 3 . I don't know what happened but the fishing was not as great as everybody says it was for the last few weeks. I'm wondering if it was the big blow we had yesterday. I don't get up very often so I had to work for these ones . Please or horrible in the currents were really strong going west. How did everybody else do20180707_161702.jpg20180707_161622.jpg

Sent from my SM-J327V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Not sure where you went but we had no problems finding and getting fish today. Kings and steelies, spoons and meat. Landed 15-16 and dropped a bunch of others.

Capt Rich.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Started in 85 went out to 250-300 and back in again. Our big fish came on spoons but we did have 8-10 meat bites today. Temp was a little deeper, 75-80’ down, but most of our fish came up in the warm water. Speeds were tricky, but read your cables and dipseys.

Capt Rich

Fish your graph!!!! Most of our fish were up out of temp,’especially early. But they have been out of temp for the last few Weeks. My 50’ rigger was on fire this morning, it was 63 degrees there!!

Capt Rich.

I always run a couple baits out of temp, in temp and below temp. Once the rods start firing then I close the pattern in on the hot zone!!

Capt Rich

Like Rich said the 50 to 60 foot rigger were on fire, total out of temp, but the fish don't read the internet so they don't know what they are supposed to do....  was a great meat day for me, crushed big kings on meat, surprising was the copper wasn't very active only two serious hits... rigger was on fire in the morning. Use something white in the morning and it will help.. 

On 7/7/2018 at 9:30 PM, Knotlost Charters said:

Like Rich said the 50 to 60 foot rigger were on fire, total out of temp, but the fish don't read the internet so they don't know what they are supposed to do....  was a great meat day for me, crushed big kings on meat, surprising was the copper wasn't very active only two serious hits... rigger was on fire in the morning. Use something white in the morning and it will help.. 

So true... "but the fish don't read the internet so they don't know what they are supposed to do.... " 

Caught lots of fish out of temp before. I know what fishnfreak means by trying to keep the bait in the "correct temp", as I also tend to do the same thing.  

Knotlost Charters and Captain Rich, thank you guys for all the info and help you post on here. 

58 minutes ago, eston said:

So true... "but the fish don't read the internet so they don't know what they are supposed to do.... " 

Caught lots of fish out of temp before. I know what fishnfreak means by trying to keep the bait in the "correct temp", as I also tend to do the same thing.  

Knotlost Charters and Captain Rich, thank you guys for all the info and help you post on here. 

Bought a fish hawk this year to help me keep my lines in the correct temp zone... having my worst year ever fishing strictly "correct" temp. .I headed out deeper on sat and saw my temp 50ft down go from 55* to 49* so I turned around and went back in shallower only to fish 6hrs for 2 bites and lose both. Not to mention 3+hrs of drive/tow time.

Bought a fish hawk this year to help me keep my lines in the correct temp zone... having my worst year ever fishing strictly "correct" temp. .I headed out deeper on sat and saw my temp 50ft down go from 55* to 49* so I turned around and went back in shallower only to fish 6hrs for 2 bites and lose both. Not to mention 3+hrs of drive/tow time.

Everyone is so stuck on fishing “temp”, if you were able to attend the State of the Lake meeting 2 years ago, or were able to get the notes, there was/is a study going on by the Canadian DNR. They put pop up tags on kings and a steelheads. The info they shared as far as where these fish go will open your eyes!!!! Adult Kings during June, July, and early August in 65-70 degree water.... we are guessing what they are doing is eating, then they dive back down into the freezer to digest, then back up again 6-8 hours later. So after seeing that info, and watching what my Furuno has been telling me... out something in that “hot” water!!! So here is a spread I started with..... I run 3 riggers on my boat, probe rigger is at 50 degrees, then I will put my deep rigger in the freezer, usually 15-25’ below the 50 degrees, this is usually a meat rig, unless it is a strict spoon bite. Other corner rigger is 10-20’ above the probe, depending what I am seeing on the screen. Usually will be a spoon, until the fish tell me they want FF or meat. Dipseys are usually run one above and one below 50 degrees, until I see where the active fish are!!! Coppers..... one board will have a short copper... this weekend I was running 300,350,450,500.... all took bites.... but I will always put a shirt copper in the “oven”.... 60-65 degree water, this usually has a plug, or a bright colored stingray on it!!! The other board will have a copper for 50 degrees and that will start with a FF or meat from now on, but will get changed of the spoons are on fire. Chute copper will be a meat rig, and that will be in the freezer!!!! This rod took my biggest fish of the weekend!!! Take the blinders off, read what the fish are telling you and then dial it in!!!! Do not, and I repeat “ DO NOT” live by your probe!!! Let the fish tell you what they want!!! Goood Luck, if you are out of Oz this weekend, I will be out every day starting Friday for a week, shoot me a pm and I will pass along what I am finding!!

Capt Rich.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

12 minutes ago, Rich D said:

Everyone is so stuck on fishing “temp”, if you were able to attend the State of the Lake meeting 2 years ago, or were able to get the notes, there was/is a study going on by the Canadian DNR. They put pop up tags on kings and a steelheads. The info they shared as far as where these fish go will open your eyes!!!! Adult Kings during June, July, and early August in 65-70 degree water.... we are guessing what they are doing is eating, then they dive back down into the freezer to digest, then back up again 6-8 hours later. So after seeing that info, and watching what my Furuno has been telling me... out something in that “hot” water!!! So here is a spread I started with..... I run 3 riggers on my boat, probe rigger is at 50 degrees, then I will put my deep rigger in the freezer, usually 15-25’ below the 50 degrees, this is usually a meat rig, unless it is a strict spoon bite. Other corner rigger is 10-20’ above the probe, depending what I am seeing on the screen. Usually will be a spoon, until the fish tell me they want FF or meat. Dipseys are usually run one above and one below 50 degrees, until I see where the active fish are!!! Coppers..... one board will have a short copper... this weekend I was running 300,350,450,500.... all took bites.... but I will always put a shirt copper in the “oven”.... 60-65 degree water, this usually has a plug, or a bright colored stingray on it!!! The other board will have a copper for 50 degrees and that will start with a FF or meat from now on, but will get changed of the spoons are on fire. Chute copper will be a meat rig, and that will be in the freezer!!!! This rod took my biggest fish of the weekend!!! Take the blinders off, read what the fish are telling you and then dial it in!!!! Do not, and I repeat “ DO NOT” live by your probe!!! Let the fish tell you what they want!!! Goood Luck, if you are out of Oz this weekend, I will be out every day starting Friday for a week, shoot me a pm and I will pass along what I am finding!!

Capt Rich.

Appreciate the info, I will take off the "blinders" and give this a try! I'm only 2yrs into the salmon game so I'm still learning.

11 hours ago, Rich D said:

Capt Rich.

just read this thank you very much