1st time on Lake Ontario - any advice appreciated

Hello All, 

I've appreciated reading your reports and info. I'm gearing up for my first time fishing Lake Ontario probably out of Olcott or Wilson later this month. I'm from AZ but will be in Chautauqua the next 6 weeks for work/family. I've only got my 14 ft. Whaler-type boat with a 30hp outboard but I regularly fish the Sea of Cortez and the Pacific NW with it so I have all the necessary safety gear and will be watching the weather closely. 

I've got a couple of dipsy rods with 30lb braid and some divers. Unfortunately I didn't pack any of my salmon gear as I didn't think it would be necessary. I'm trying to come up with a short list of gear to have some of the necessities to have a shot at some fish. So far I'm thinking of a variety of spoons; NBK, 42nd spoon, NK Mixed Veggie, etc. I'll probably run 20-30lb floro leaders, maybe pick up a flasher or two and some flies. I've got a few questions if any of you might have a few minutes to help out: 

Do you typically run a flasher in front of spoons on Lake Ontario? They do up in Washington but then they're smaller spoons. 

What size spoon is typical? 

What's a good leader length from the diver to the spoon? 

Will 30lb braid be a problem with the fleas? Should I be looking at a flea flicker line? 

Would it be worth running a high line with a banana sinker to get 3 lines in the water? 

Which port (Wilson, Olcott, other?) would be best to launch with a small boat? I can get back in a hurry if weather picks up but it would be nice if there was some protection in the harbor. 

Favorite tackle shop in Wilson or Olcott? 

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to help. It looks like my windows are 7/15-16, 7/22-23, and 8/5-6. I'll be keeping my eye on the weather and hope to get out there. 

Thanks, 

Chris 

Edited by CBFinet

Better luck running atomic flies about 22 inch behind a flasher/SD 6 to 8 feet behind dipsy. I go 6.
Hopefully the fleas will clear up by the time u go out,(doubtful). Braid don't hold up well with the fleas. So far its been a great spoon bite. I ryn NKs and Dreamweavers. Some moonshines. So far double orange crush and blue dolphin has been great. Magnums and 28s. Olcott and Wilson both is shorter to deeper water. Experiment and be safe. Happy fishing. Pick up and lead core setup if u can. 10 color.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Before buying all that gear that's hit and miss, get a meat rig ( white/clear glow) with clear 'ish" teasers  (3)  use it with a white paddle bigger the better. fish early and you will do fine. Or get a charter and save your time and trouble its almost cheaper... on downriggers is fine.

They dont make flea flicker any more you need to clean lines at 20 mins max right now no short cuts.

Edited by Knotlost Charters
  • Like 1

Thanks for the advice guys. It looks like I'll get a handful of size 28 spoons, a couple of spin doctors or flashers, a few flies, and a few meat rigs. I would love to get a charter but I'm hoping to invest in a little gear and have the option of going again and in future years. 

I have a couple other questions - thanks for the patience... 

Any go-to flashers or spin doctors I should be looking at? 

Should I ditch the 30lb braid in favor of mono to deal with the fleas? 

Would Wilson or Olcott be a better choice for near-shore (walleye, perch) or around the harbor if the wind picks up and it's not feasible to stay out? 

Thanks again. I'll be sure to post a report after I get out. 

A go to spin doctor out of Olcott would be the white with green dots or white/white crush. If I had to pick two flies (one would be too few), they would be a Kryptonite pattern and a Stud fly.

As was mentioned, SeaFlea is no more, but BloodRun does make a flea resistant mono. If I were you I would get the metal braid for your dipsy rods. It is hard to believe how much of a pain fleas are when bad. If you only fish a couple days, don't worry about a twilli tip.

I would also add a couple DW super slim dirty white boy pattern spoons to your list.

As for the high line, I wouldn't discount it. I have taken coho within 30' of the boat with a flasher/fly running right on the surface, but that is more if the water is stirred up and cold on top.

I believe the above post was meant to say that Cortland Flea Flicker has been discontinued but Sea Flee monofilament from Bloodrun is still available. It is helpful but like the rest of the lines  not a "silver bullet" when heavy concentrations of fleas are encountered especially the fishook type that seem to be the worst problem right now:smile:

Thanks again guys. I'm about to place an order with Fish USA and they assured me it would get in by Friday. I'm heading out Sunday afternoon to fish that evening and all of Monday. It looks like I'm going to run some 40lb mono to try to help with the fleas. It seems everyone is having a hard time with them this time of year.

I'll have to pick up some herring as I roll in on Sunday for the meat rigs. Any go-to places near the public launch in Olcott for herring, supplies, etc? I won't have a chance to cure or brine the herring so I hope that's not a deal breaker. 

I think I've got a handle on how to rig things but I'm wondering what the norm is for running a spoon behind a diver? I was thinking 6 ft of 20 lb flouro to a duo-lock snap to allow changing spoons. Would 30lb be a safer bet this time of year? 

Looking forward to getting out there. Sunday/Monday is looking good for weather. At this rate I could have paid for a charter but at least I'll have the gear for the future. I might get into wire line for the divers down the road...

Bait shops in Olcott:

Slipery Sinker - right by the launch, close and good selection

ASB - A bit outside Olcott, in Newfane. buth with a larger selection.

I typically run 30 lb. fluoro leaders on my rigger rods. I'm partial to the Torpedo snap swivels too.