Boat transom transducer recommendation....

Jetsled

Gents,

Dropped 1200 bucks for new electronics (fish hawk & simrad go7 xse w/ totalscan transducer).  See below pic for reference.

Green Painters tape = thru hull fitting 30" up from transom.  wash down pump source.

Red circle transducer coming off!  old fish finder.  I believe this one gets air interference from thru hull on plane.

Blue circle transducer staying (backup (older) GPS/Fishfinder/Depthfinder).

i'm thinking of installing the Fish Hawk transducer in Red circle area.  Speed from Fish Hawk on plane is not important as both GPS unit will display speed.  When trolling, thru hull fitting interference should NOT affect performance of fish hawk (i hope).

i'm thinking of installing the Simrad total scan transducer on the port side.  no thru hulls or anything to cause interference of any kind.  nice clean water for total scan transducer and clean picture!

opinions or ?

big thanks,

jetsled

Back of Boat.jpg

Might want to think about installing a plastic transducer mounting plate using one or more existing screw holes and then you can shift around the transducers and experiment to find the optimal placement for each without additional holes in the transom hull

Totalscan should be mounted on starboard side per installation instructions to eliminate prop bubble interference. Make sure you get it tight on the bracket because mine kept tipping down, shooting forward. Found this out as I checked it while anchored and swimming, twice it happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

4 hours ago, pete277 said:

Totalscan should be mounted on starboard side per installation instructions to eliminate prop bubble interference. Make sure you get it tight on the bracket because mine kept tipping down, shooting forward. Found this out as I checked it while anchored and swimming, twice it happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

copy that.  going to re-think it.  youtube videos show installation on both sides thou.

thanks!

Spoke with Simrad.  Recommend starboard side due to clockwise prop of out-drive.  So started removing old transducer & doing a basic mock-up.  Leveled the boat on trailer.  Using level as straight edge the new total scan is either slightly tilled up or down, but only by 3/16".  I have a transducer board for the port side ready to go for FishHawk.  See below pics.  Starboard side backer board will need to be carefully thought-out....

20180711_211710.jpg

20180711_211749.jpg