Making your own trailer bunks

njg0621

So I have two bunks on my trailer and they are both completely shot and need to be replaced.  I measured them and they measure 3"x6"x10ft long.  I have never had to repair the bunks before so I was looking for some advise.  Can I just use pressure treated? Does it need to be sealed? Do they actually sell a 3x6 or do I need to make one by screwing two 2x6 together. The boars are just lag bolted to trailer currently and sit vertically.  Any advise is appreciated! Thanks!

I'm assuming your bunks are carpeted and you're measuring them with the carpet still on them. Most likely they are a standard 2x6x10. Pressure treated is fine, depending on the condition of the carpet you can remove it from the old ones and re-use it (just stapled on). You are prolly going to want new hardware though, go with stainless steel and you should be good.

8 minutes ago, old man said:

IMG_0922.JPGjust did mine yesterday. Ten years old. Just new treated wood and the old carpet stapled back on. It’s a pain getting all the old staples out.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

My biggest issue when I did mine last spring was finding a place to do it. I ended up taking everything I needed with me to a boat launch, launching the boat and replacing the bunks in the parking lot! I only have 2 bunks and took a good hour to do each one.

I was on vacation. Launched boat and when I met the wife at our rental I noticed 2 of 4 bunks were broken. I went to hardware store for lumber,as well as a staple gun and hand saw. Had to “drill” pilot holes with a screwdriver and tighten 8 lag screws with vise grips. Next time I get new carpet. The original was obviously put on with a fully automatic assault stapler.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

I have replace old rotted wood bunks with PT many times. Always try to go with the widest you can get on the trailer.  my little 18 ft trailer has 2x12 PTs on it with Indoor Outdoor Carpet, Use Stainless Steel Staples and it will last for years.  If you spay the carpet down with Silicon or Fluid Film it will help the boat slide on and off  easier.

When ours went I went to a local sawmill. They used oak and man they are heavy! Way stronger than pine too. They cut them at an angle to match the hull for us as well. Black paint and a cheap roll of black bunk carpet from amazon and better than new!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United