Possible protection of Fishawk Probe

Like many folks out there I am always concerned about the possibility of losing my X4D probe; especially after seeing fishing companions lose theirs unexpectedly on Lake O. Although there may not be a "foolproof" way in a severe hangup etc. I implemented something on my own set of downriggers and thought that if it is useful OR possibly to  get folks thinking about potentially better ways for their own particular situation I'd post it to get people thinking. I know that there are all sorts of terminal connections, different downrigger models,  and different releases being used and my downriggers are Mag 10A "old school" riggers with an old school terminal connection with the older model of the Blacks release, but if it is of value here it is:

I have plenty of the newer model Blacks releases that have their own swivel set-up including those for outriggers etc. but I purposely use the older ones because I have faith in them. I made a short section of 90 lb 7 strand stainess wire and attached it to the downrigger cable sandwiched between the connection of my (OLD model) Blacks release that is already held securely in place on the 150 lb test downrigger cable with a crimp sleeve. The breakaway wire on the Fishawk is (allegedly) 60 lb test. I hook both swivels to the top of the probe. The previous loss that I observed (luckily I wasn't the one operating the downrigger on that boat) just dropped off while it was suspended on the rigger with weight, probe etc.  deep sixing and wasn't hung up on bottom or anything. My thought is that if the main terminal on the rigger above the probe goes south barring a major hangup you lose everything so I made up this potential solution which still depends heavily on the integrity of the crimp on the Blacks. I have not tried it nor do I intend to:lol: but at least it currently adds a bit of peace of mind to the situation.

oldschool.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Les, timing is impeccable lol. Ask Mike, one little bounce on the cable from some slack and off she went, breakaway cable let go. Luckily only lost the weight. Mike said it was damn near the same place he had lost some cable.... memories lol

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I was actually there for Mikes probe loss experience unless he's had another (I sure hope not as I never want to see that look on his face again:lol:) Hopefully the 90 lb test wire I used on my "safety strap" will hold up better than the 60 stuff seems to....hate to lose one of my bikinibottom weights though.

Don,

That is the breakaway cable that runs from the probe to the weight and is attached to your existing downrigger terminus so that if for example you snag up on bottom the theory is that you'd lose the weight but not the probe when the 60 lb cable snaps because it is much below the breaking strength of the normal downrigger cable (usually 150-200 lb test). The problem as in Mike's case above is that one of the cable terminations let go and everything was lost. That is why the connection I made rests ABOVE the cable terminations with the hope that it saves the probe....still no guarantee,

Edited by Sk8man

7 minutes ago, Sk8man said:

I was actually there for Mikes probe loss experience unless he's had another (I sure hope not as I never want to see that look on his face again:lol:) Hopefully the 90 lb test wire I used on my "safety strap" will hold up better than the 60 stuff seems to....hate to lose one of my bikinibottom weights though.

Don,

That is the breakaway cable that runs from the probe to the weight and is attached to your existing downrigger terminus so that if for example you snag up on bottom the theory is that you'd lose the weight but not the probe when the 60 lb cable snaps because it is much below the breaking strength of the normal downrigger cable (usually 150-200 lb test). The problem as in Mike's case above is that one of the cable terminations let go and everything was lost. That is why the connection I made rests ABOVE the cable terminations with the hope that it saves the probe....still no guarantee,

Bringing back a painful experience I had on Sunday. Took the wife and my son out on Lake O. Hit some very strong currents and ended up getting downrigger cable into prop. Was using a pancake weight for the first time. Learned the hard way that they tend to wander. Ended up losing my Fish Hawk probe. Just ordered another one. And that wasn't the worst of it. Couldn't get the wire off the prop so couldn't use the big motor. No problem, had the kicker. Kicker would start but would continuously stall out.Never had a problem with it before. Ended up having to get towed back to launch. Waiting to see how much my insurance will cover. Worst experience I've ever had on the water. But then I think of those guys who had their boats burned on I-Bay on the fourth. Guess its not so bad after all.

• Sad 1

Clutch is set fine Brian. The problems for some others seems to be when their weight is just suspended and nothing else is going on - the terminal connection or perhaps the wire above it just gives way and the whole thing drops to the bottom independently of the breakaway cable..

and Mike - you could be right.....but blame it on the other MIke.....cause I still remember the look on your face when it happened:lol:

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1