I put up a post last year with brand new panther kicker bracket . Mine broke in the same spot too Didn't lose the Kicker my fishing partner noticed it was broke and I tied it off with a Rope plus there was a safety cable on it. Panther sent me a new backing plate that I have not used cuz I did not trust it. Buddy made one out of quarter inch aluminum three-quarter inch oak problem solved. Those plastic backing plates are junk.

Sent from my XT1609 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 2

The instructions say not to leave it on while trailering, do you take it on & off after every use?

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That's what Panther said to me when I called and got a new bracket from him. tell me how you take your kicker off each time when it's got controls and it's electric start who's going to take it off every time

That's what Panther said to me when I called and got a new bracket from him. tell me how you take your kicker off each time when it's got controls and it's electric start who's going to take it off every time

That's why I built a fixed 3/16 stainless steel bracket myself.IMG_20180223_151034230.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

When I trailered a boat with a kicker I used a ratchet strap around the motor up to the stern cleat to keep it from bouncing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

When I trailered a boat with a kicker I used a ratchet strap around the motor up to the stern cleat to keep it from bouncing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

X2 ,I put backing plate under bottom of the top of transom and made loops bolted down threw the backing plate to hook the ratchet straps to .

X2 ,I put backing plate under bottom of the top of transom and made loops bolted down threw the backing plate to hook the ratchet straps to .

Good idea on the ratchet straps. Or perhaps I should remove it when trailering. That’ll happen!! Probably will go with a hunk of aluminum. I did have the cable attached. As bad as this was, I can only imagine it failing and me dragging it down the 290 for miles. Thanks for all the replies. I figured some of you have probably felt a similar pain. Tight lines boys!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  • Like 1

I had a Garelick on my old boat and never had any issues.  Maybe one thing I can share is that I bolted the motor right to the bracket mount.  On the transom mount part of the motor should be bolt holes.  Once you mount that on the kicker bracket drill right through the plastic and bolt that sum beach right to it.  Not only does it make it stronger but is also one more thing  for security and theft deterrent.  I also used a 1/4 inch aluminum plate I had cut and drilled to strengthen the whole setup.  Sorry for the headache and hopefully you can gain trust in another product.

• Like 1

I had my kicker plate cracking in the middle like that too, definitely from trailering. Luckily no issues but I took that plate off and bought a custom cut to the same size plate of very thick UHMW plastic. Drilled everything out including the recesses for the screw and washers. Very strong when screwed put in with locktite. No problems since. I like the metal ones shown here as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

I’m appalled. I’ve had my panther for several years I can’t believe they are blaming you. I detach shifting cable when not in use (While hauling boat) and trim motor up slightly keeping my EZ steer connected to motor. No problems yet thank god. I feel terrible for your loss. BUT...You didn’t get skunked.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Ive had my Garelick  bracket since 2002 and this is the second motor on it.....never a problem and I've trailered with it vertical the entire time. My bracket is bolted through the hull and backed on the underside and outside. The motor doesn't move when trailering. I have it secured with a lock so that the hand fasteners can't loosen up and I have a ratcheted strap around the metal part of the bracket to keep the motor tight and to act as a safety line in case the plastic fails. Is it a garanteed perfect failsafe measure? No but I've tried to eliminate the major concerns at least. :smile:  It is unfortunate situations like this that causes you to question your own set-up as well.  Good luck from here on out Killerk hope things go better for you.

bracket.jpg

bracket 2.jpg

bracket3.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Yes misery likes company.

I'm sorry to hear about your kicker,but ,if it makes you feel any better I'll share my bad luck with yours.

Just last weekend started with me donating my I-phone to Owasco Lake and as if that was not enough I lost my tilly hat with $60 in the top in Owasco lake too. Next I went to Lake Ontario to hunt Salmon and the first thing to happen was the downrigger cable breaking and my x4 probe and torpedo slipping into the depths of that lake. I know, it's only money but it hurts.

Wow ! I hope whatever you have Cornelis it isn't contagious....thats terrible. After that the fleas were probably not even a concern....

Edited by Sk8man

14 hours ago, rolmops said:

Yes misery likes company.

I'm sorry to hear about your kicker,but ,if it makes you feel any better I'll share my bad luck with yours.

Just last weekend started with me donating my I-phone to Owasco Lake and as if that was not enough I lost my tilly hat with $60 in the top in Owasco lake too. Next I went to Lake Ontario to hunt Salmon and the first thing to happen was the downrigger cable breaking and my x4 probe and torpedo slipping into the depths of that lake. I know, it's only money but it hurts.

OUch, Sorry for your loss.

14 hours ago, Sk8man said:

Ive had my Garelick  bracket since 2002 and this is the second motor on it.....never a problem and I've trailered with it vertical the entire time. My bracket is bolted through the hull and backed on the underside and outside. The motor doesn't move when trailering. I have it secured with a lock so that the hand fasteners can't loosen up and I have a ratcheted strap around the metal part of the bracket to keep the motor tight and to act as a safety line in case the plastic fails. Is it a garanteed perfect failsafe measure? No but I've tried to eliminate the major concerns at least. :smile:  It is unfortunate situations like this that causes you to question your own set-up as well.  Good luck from here on out Killerk hope things go better for you.

bracket.jpg

bracket 2.jpg

bracket3.jpg

Great ideas.  Thanks Les!!