Cayuga Salvation Army Derby

The fishing on Cayuga is just outstanding. Steady pick from around 8;30 till we picked em at 2;00.Us old fat guys soaked in sweat.Many 7 to 8lb fish all healthey. Weighed in the 2nd place LT as of 3:00 dont know where it stands now'

Spooled up with 40lb test ande line ,no fleas. Few fleas on the wire a couple inches was the most I seen.

Fished the long pt area heading back there tomorrow.

I took a new Lou member sgilbert14 out today on Cayuga. He is new to trolling so I tried teaching him the little bit I knew. I saw you out Fishstix, I was the one yelling Release Release to you when I seen your rigger go off. At the same time we doubled up. We pulled in the longest skinniest finger lake laker ever. 11 lb. No. not in derby. IMG_6312.JPG

All Day Long

• Like 2

On 7/14/2018 at 5:20 PM, magill270 said:

I took a new Lou member sgilbert14 out today on Cayuga. He is new to trolling so I tried teaching him the little bit I knew. I saw you out Fishstix, I was the one yelling Release Release to you when I seen your rigger go off. At the same time we doubled up. We pulled in the longest skinniest finger lake laker ever. 11 lb. No. not in derby. IMG_6312.JPG

All Day Long

That's a beauty!

Fun derby. My son and I camped the weekend at Cayuga Lake State Park and launched at Dean's Cove. We caught a bunch of fish mostly lakers one ten pounds and another about that and many 5-8 lbs  biggest salmon about 7. It would sure be nice if they had a weigh station somewhere closer to  the fishing (e.g. Long Point maybe?). heat was brutal fleas were pretty bad too. The new tool (paint stick with velcro) worked but it isn't a total panacea or solution especially for mono lines. Never had any fleas on the 300 copper though.

Pics of a couple of the fish:

mark10lb.jpg

leslandlock.jpg

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 2

Nice fish guys, definitely a brutally hot weekend.  I talked to bear after the weigh in, he said he's trying his best to get a weigh station up by long point for the fall derby.  Also confirmed the Barney Baldwin memorial derby is 1 day, Saturday, August 4th. 

• Like 1

Bob- The tool seems to work best scraping across the wire which offers some resistance to it. On mono it didn't seem to work as well because the mono doesn't give the resistance to it but I used it to scrape them down the line and into a clump which i removed most of by hand. On the copper I kept the braid backing to a minimum out and didn't have any significant fleas (which seemed like a real blessing):lol: They weren't to the extent that they collected  on the .downriggers so that wasn't any problem at least at this time out. The flea tool seems to clean off relatively easily by dipping it in the water and moving it back and forth. I keep 4 of them handy :smile:

Edited by Sk8man

Ron Seacord (from Salvation Army) sent the following:

Thanks to all who participated in the Derby.  The weather and the fishing were great.

Attached is information for Barney's Hospicare derby. (edit:see separate LOU post for entry form)

Thanks,

Ron Seacord

SALVATION ARMY 2018 FISHING DERBY July 15  

NAME   HOME TOWN
A DIVISION LAKE TROUT      
FIRST   Derek Foot 11#15 McLean, NY
SECOND   Robert Kelly 11#1 Bloomsburg, PA
THIRD   Perry Saville 10#11 Moravia, NY
FOURTH   Bruce Wolf 10#8 Aurora, NY

B DIVISION BROWN,RAINBOW & SALMON    
FIRST   Willie Durbin6 13#10 Brown Trout Moravia, NY
SECOND   Don Lewis 12#6 Brown Trout Cortland, NY