Went 12 for 14 out of Olcott Friday, dropped lines at 75’ straight out of the harbor and picked up a steelhead on a 170 dipsy, got out to 140 and started picking up a variety of sizes from skippies to 13-15 pound teens, not many boats out and a NE/SW troll was working the best for us, 140 out to 240 kept producing teens and one mid 20’s king. Carbon 14 early was the only spoon that fired, spin doctor and flies the rest of the morning, 42nd fly and a chrome spin doctor the top producer. Good morning for us, I’m staring to get a better handle on this coming from a walleye background, just wish these things tasted better :)

Oh and the fleas are much much better!!! IMG_4795.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 2

Good report, we’re pretty new at this and trying to figure this out , not the same as walleye fishing, **** morning for us , 0 for 0 for us not good, a. Couples of weekends ago was easy pickings, but this trip has got us thinking were to start , the fleas suck out at 300 fow

Edited by Kwall

Trim off all dark meat and the lateral line off your fillets and they'll taste a lot better. Some guys bleed the fish out before it goes in the box.  I prefer kings and coho over 'eyes. I did some 'eyes on the grill that we caught Thursday and think I shouldda hit them with a lot more old bay, very bland. 

• Like 1

Went 12 for 14 out of Olcott Friday, dropped lines at 75’ straight out of the harbor and picked up a steelhead on a 170 dipsy, got out to 140 and started picking up a variety of sizes from skippies to 13-15 pound teens, not many boats out and a NE/SW troll was working the best for us, 140 out to 240 kept producing teens and one mid 20’s king. Carbon 14 early was the only spoon that fired, spin doctor and flies the rest of the morning, 42nd fly and a chrome spin doctor the top producer. Good morning for us, I’m staring to get a better handle on this coming from a walleye background, just wish these things tasted better default_emoticon-0100-smile.gif
Oh and the fleas are much much better!!! IMG_4795.thumb.JPG.76578cebd53a9e3ff9bf7cc651290019.JPG

If those walleye only fought like salmon. Take a look in the recipe section and find Adirondack bobs salmon chowder- It is phenomenal!!! Best way to mellow the salmon flavor for those who are not salmon fans. Its one of the best ways to eat them besides smoking them in my opinion.

48 minutes ago, windburn said:

Trim off all dark meat and the lateral line off your fillets and they'll taste a lot better. Some guys bleed the fish out before it goes in the box.  I prefer kings and coho over 'eyes. I did some 'eyes on the grill that we caught Thursday and think I shouldda hit them with a lot more old bay, very bland. 

I cook mine on the grill with the skin on and skin side down, when they are done the skin peel off, I scrape the dark off, and cut out the lateral line.

Nice catch by the way Jason717.

• Like 1