Bit the bullit....full transom replacement part 1

sstout

Well, I finally started it. After thinking about replacing my transom for 2 seasons now, I did it. Well, started it anyway. The boat is a 1976 starcraft holiday. I knew the corners of the transom were rotted but thought the middle was fine. I built an engine stand and with the help of my dad got both motors off. Then I disconnected everything and removed the core. Yup, corners were shot. You could push your fingers through them. The main part was sort of solid but starting to get soft. I'm guessing this is the original transom since it is in 3 pieces? Work will continue tomorrow. 2 sheets of marine ply, and some epoxy await.

20180714_105557.jpg

20180714_150307.jpg

20180714_150318.jpg

20180714_150327.jpg

20180714_150334.jpg

20180714_150344.jpg

Ive been putting off my 1976 16 starcraft Jupiter transom. Looks very similar. Keep the posts going.

Did you look into not cutting the top plate off?

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

By top plate do you mean the strip of aluminum on top of the transom and end caps? My end caps were riveted on, so I drilled them out and the strip of aluminum was held on with really small nails. Half the nails were eaither missing or just pulled right out because of how rotten the wood was

Got the new core cut and glued together today. Next step is covering the wood with epoxy. I was fortunate that the old transom was still solid enough to use as a template for the new one. I'm going to paint the back of the boat while everything is off of it. 

20180715_093623.jpg

20180715_114038.jpg

20180715_115546.jpg

• Like 1

WOW that’s a project, I’m fearing that’s what I’m going to encounter come this winter when I’m either going to completely replace the wood work as I have soft spots where the old seats were fastened to the floor. The (back to back) factor type. Or I’m going to move up in years to a newer vessel. I have so much tied up in this boat it will be a lose-lose situation no matter what rout I take!! I have everything mechanically sound, which took the bulk of the $$$. The decision will be made when I pull the flooring up. The wood work and fiberglass to me will be the easier of all the projects I’ve encountered. I guess time will tell. The hull design is  another factor, are there better designs for a more stable ride. My boat is a Sea Ray and it cuts through the roughest waters and you don’t get wet from the spray, the only real downfall to me is the chines or ribs don’t go all the way to the front on the higher ones making it impossible to keep strait in a no wake area, once over an idle it’s fine. Lots to think about. Your project is coming along very well and I hope you can make the fall season which I see no reason you shouldn’t. Thanks for sharing and nice job!! PAP.

Thanks everyone. It is definitely a big job. I'm pleased with how it is coming out so far. Smat64 I couldn't open your picture for some reason. I think I know what you are talking about. When I took the corner caps off the back of the boat where the transom is, the aluminium from the top of the gunnels extended over the wood of the transom by an inch or so. That made it so the transom could nt slide up and out. I cut the aluminum back just enough to let the transom slide up with a dremel tool. I hope that makes sense. I can post a picture of the cutout. Yes to new drain tubes. I also ordered the tool to flare the ends. You put a wrench on each end of the tool and tighten, and it flares the end over. Well, I finished the last coat of varnish tonight. It goes back in tomorrow

20180721_202834.jpg

20180715_093316.jpg

20180721_094057.jpg

I have a 1969 Starcraft Holiday. I replaced my transom for the second time a few years ago. The first time I used exterior plywood and just painted it. Was not a good idea. This time I used marine plywood and sealed it with epoxy I got from West Marine. I think it has been 4 years now and looks like new. Well worth the effort and expense. One thing I added was scuppers over the drain holes.  They keep a lot of water from entering the transom area in rougher water.   

I made sure it was out of marine plywood. Its 2 peices of marine 3/4 inch ply glued together, then covered with 2 coats of epoxy. I wanted to leave the raw wood look, so I then covered it with two coats of marine spare varnish. Last post until next weekend. After another full day of work I got it back in. Just a few little details to go and the motor is ready to be put back on. The black tape is to cover up the paint from the previous owner that was peeling off in the splashwell. It will get painted someday, but that is a whole other project haha. I'll seal it with some black caulk and it should match pretty well.

20180722_094343.jpg

20180722_185837.jpg

• Like 1

Well, a lot of work has happened since the last post. It's done. It took another very busy weekend but it's done. The hardest part was lining the hydraulics for the trim back up with the motor. After getting everything back together, there is no doubt in my mind that it is way stronger than the old one. I am pleased with how it turned out. Ended up being in between 30 and 40 hours total and about $600 in materials. Overall I think it's a major improvement. Back to fishing next weekend!

20180729_133337.jpg

20180729_143318.jpg

20180729_160103.jpg

20180729_160853.jpg

• Like 2

Nicely done.  Overkill is totally redoing his in shore fishing boat in the marina we stay at.  His transom replacement is almost identical to how you did it.  He gutted his whole boat though right down to the inner hull and stringers.  Interesting to see it being done and how he does it.  He is skilled I will say that.  Lots of work though!