Dipsy divers and meat

Question. Im going to be running meat hard  the next few weeks. I have run it before but usually always off of copper rods. If running it off of the dipsy and I have a meet rig with attractors, do you guys cut the usual 9 ish foot leader to the flasher down some or run the the 9 ish foot leader plus the meat rigs long length?? 

Thanks

• Like 1

I don't change the diver-to-attractor leader distance.  I like longer leaders in general.  You might need some help netting a fish though - my leaders are all too long anyways so I need to handline the fish in every time even with a spoon behind the diver.

X2

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Could run a slide diver to allow for a longer lead to increase stealth in your spread. On our boat we run a wire slide diver. Take the wire and create a surgeons loop or a non-slip loop knot at the end and crimp the tag end to main line, loop it into a barrel swivel (barrel swivel needs to be big enough to withstand the pressure while trolling but small enough to fit through the line guide on the reel). Then attach a piece of 45-50lb mono ~50ft long. Put the slide diver on along with rubber or plastic tubing to be placed in the release to not allow fraying from the diver sliding. Place a bead between the diver and end of the mono. Now here are the options... can put either another barrel swivel on and attach an ~5ft piece of 20lb florocarbon to a snap swivel... or at the end of the mono attach a snap swivel then your flasher/meat set up. This allows you to run a longer lead behind the diver without having to run a long leader and I think gives more stealth to the presentation.

1 hour ago, cdq said:

Could run a slide diver to allow for a longer lead to increase stealth in your spread. On our boat we run a wire slide diver. Take the wire and create a surgeons loop or a non-slip loop knot at the end and crimp the tag end to main line, loop it into a barrel swivel (barrel swivel needs to be big enough to withstand the pressure while trolling but small enough to fit through the line guide on the reel). Then attach a piece of 45-50lb mono ~50ft long. Put the slide diver on along with rubber or plastic tubing to be placed in the release to not allow fraying from the diver sliding. Place a bead between the diver and end of the mono. Now here are the options... can put either another barrel swivel on and attach an ~5ft piece of 20lb florocarbon to a snap swivel... or at the end of the mono attach a snap swivel then your flasher/meat set up. This allows you to run a longer lead behind the diver without having to run a long leader and I think gives more stealth to the presentation.

This is what I do running solo.  

With a dipsy I didn't catch crap until I ran a long lead.  I wouldn't cut it down.  I ran minimum 9' lead with straight DD regardless of what was on it.  

On 7/20/2018 at 5:26 PM, kingpossible said:

I don't change the diver-to-attractor leader distance.  I like longer leaders in general.  You might need some help netting a fish though - my leaders are all too long anyways so I need to handline the fish in every time even with a spoon behind the diver.

X3

• 3 weeks later...
Don't shorten your leader. Have someone leader the fish to the net--lots of fun and effective.

However it doesn't work with two people or fishing solo.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Works just fine ...we just walk up on the bow when fish gets close and net in the back lol ...Small boat problems

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

On 7/22/2018 at 2:26 PM, cdq said:

You need to find the tutorial on YouTube for setting up wire slide divers by Team Casey 1. I don’t like crimps and wire