Price of cut bait

Stopped at fat Nancy’s today to pick up some cut bait... wow! $13 a tray! And when I say tray I mean 6 strips! Not 6 fish... 6 strips aka 3 fish! Been a while since I bought meat but I don’t remember paying $4 per fish!

N and D seem to be the cheapest I have found... don’t know them personally but try to save anywhere I can

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Got a package of ND left over from last year. Price on package is 12.99 Bought at Fat Nancy’sIMG_0345.thumb.JPG.acccd936f0dfd6960e28752e332a3789.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Must be ok even from last year. Went 2 for 5 this AM using it Solo fishing is tough lost 3 good kings at the back of the boat

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I bought a “case” of herring strips from A Tom Ik this past spring. I haven’t used them yet as I had a couple of packs left over from last year. 6 trays of 8 strips each cost $107 shipped in a cooler with gel packs if they work they will be worth every cent nobody said this was a cheap sport. Lol

30 minutes ago, chinook35 said:

I bought a “case” of herring strips from A Tom Ik this past spring. I haven’t used them yet as I had a couple of packs left over from last year. 6 trays of 8 strips each cost $107 shipped in a cooler with gel packs if they work they will be worth every cent nobody said this was a cheap sport. Lol

They work and make a difference compared to other companies out there. I have had them out side by side and gone 3-1 with the cut bait from Atommik. Just

look at the color in the strip from Atommik versus others. It makes a huge difference and all that is run on my boat now. Already gone thru 5 cases from atommik this season and gonna be putting in an order for 5 more this week

• Like 1

The N&D fit the John King heads and need to be trimmed for the Rhys Davis heads. But I like the larger strips, gives you the option of trimming or not for the two different sized heads.

• Like 1

Did they make them so they can fit Rhys davis heads?   3 or 4 years ago I tried the N&D and not only paid $12 but had to perform surgery to make them fit.

Surgery is a must. They are cut backwards so you have to change the angle of the cut or the meat side is out

8 hours ago, Fat Trout said:

Bought one to try but @ $7 each a) I hope they work and b) I hope they last....they seemed kind of soft.    

I have one rocket that has withstood nearly 30 kings.  It's in pretty rough shape but they are worth the $7 as far as I'm concerned.  As for cut bait try your local Chinese grocery store.  I make my own cut bait from fish found in the freezer of the local Chinese grocery for $4 a bag.  It's cheap and once brined up, very effective@

Don’t really post much on LOU but follow the threads and occasionally ask questions.

Wanted to jump in on this one because I have started producing a new product in Toronto called “The Big One” Cut Bait Co. -Alewife.

I treat, hand cut and package each strip myself in my basement. My wife hates me for it but understands I am a Fishing nut.

It is real Alewife that is specially treated to last over 4 hours in the water without getting soggy. The treated strips also do not need to be refrigerated.

Strips are about 6 inches long. They are the width of a MC ROCKET and will fit in all Bait heads, including Rhys and John King

Scales are in tact

VHS certified in Ontario

$10 USD per pack of 4 strips

Shipping to USA available

PM if interested

Check my fishing profile out on Instagram @woodinthewild

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These pictures show the durability of the treated strips. They can be reused once or twice more, in most cases, even after getting whacked by a fish. IMG_5704.thumb.JPG.f70018eb05fa7358a6a66410a9e370fe.JPGIMG_5790.thumb.JPG.13dbc6e8d44760b14cad63d7f8abef06.JPGIMG_5702.thumb.JPG.ffdfaa8f887480b61b8527ba9220ba78.JPGIMG_5660.thumb.JPG.58bf635184e3d643544a5c8bf17e3820.JPGIMG_5658.thumb.JPG.4c9f3e5bcf63fc18763e329cf800bb22.JPGIMG_5657.thumb.JPG.17483fe7d209116e2faa616e8547ae90.JPG

IMG_5649.thumb.JPG.8e2b47c56d558ec6ca8f5824db27ef8d.JPGIMG_5640.thumb.JPG.aee528de8458913a7f75899093bb3cbb.JPGIMG_5452.thumb.JPG.7af8de6f728e99f9895cb4e7167c4ec3.JPGIMG_5433.thumb.JPG.8fc273cb8879de2d8a84e818d9b7b076.JPGIMG_5430.thumb.JPG.fc33d4645ea397964f304112b33081b1.JPG

The fish in the last two pictures[emoji1432]was weighed with a Rapala digital scale at 32.5lbs. Caught in Lake Ontario on June 15 2018

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Porkpie said:

I have one rocket that has withstood nearly 30 kings.  It's in pretty rough shape but they are worth the $7 as far as I'm concerned.  As for cut bait try your local Chinese grocery store.  I make my own cut bait from fish found in the freezer of the local Chinese grocery for $4 a bag.  It's cheap and once brined up, very effective@

I might have to switch back to MC rockets, I went through 10 baits Saturday and that's me just running 6 lines. I'm sure you guys on bigger boats running more lines easily use that much if not more in a day. Any place I can save a few bucks makes a difference, especially when it's already a 3hr round trip just to get to the lake.

Edited by FishingFool34
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, FishingFool34 said:

I might have to switch back to MC rockets, I went through 10 baits Saturday and that's me just running 6 lines. I'm sure you guys on bigger boats running more lines easily use that much if not more in a day. Any place I can save a few bucks makes a difference, especially when it's already a 3hr round trip just to get to the lake.

Well if all 10 took fish I would think its OK :rofl:.   Actually guys tend to run less rods than years ago.  Less can be more as far as gear in the water spooking fish and also avoiding tangles etc.  I run an 18' boat and I'm a 4 rod max for salmon (for me).   Of that its a mix of spoons, flasher /fly and baits with max 2 baits.   I feel I do just as well if not better than with more rods.  certainly less tangles and chaos with a fish on.

On 7/16/2018 at 8:14 PM, Porkpie said:

Any special advice for brine?

The additional cost of bait strips can be a "no-brainer" to charters when you examine gas savings per hour if meat helps clients get their limits faster.  As a weekend warrior, if I can catch fish on spoons or flies......why bother.  Part of the fun of fishing is fooling them with artificials.  Derbies and tournaments I do have some meat in the boat, but it only comes out if the fish are not biting and I have gone thru plan A, plan B and plan C.