Catching Alewives

Sabiki rigs or even small gold colored hooks just jigged in front of them.  Is it ilegal to use one you  just  caught?  I don't understand the book, can I legally use perch that I just caught for walleyes when ice fishing?  Not carrying either one of them away......jk

26 minutes ago, TrophySeeker said:

Read the regs. Can't fish them live, can't transport them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Please quote from the regulations where it says that.  It is perfectly legal to use alewife for bait, but only in a listed number of waters.  They can also be transported, but only within defined corridors.  You can harvest your own, but only using listed methods.

If there is so much bait out there, why are the fish being so suicidal on metal spoons this year?  Or are there too many salmonids even for a HUGE bait population? 

Please quote from the regulations where it says that.  It is perfectly legal to use alewife for bait, but only in a listed number of waters.  They can also be transported, but only within defined corridors.  You can harvest your own, but only using listed methods.

If there is so much bait out there, why are the fish being so suicidal on metal spoons this year?  Or are there too many salmonids even for a HUGE bait population? 
So, I read the regs a while ago. Mostly because I was asked about Gobey as bait for bass. I don't feel the obligation to read and summarize my interpretation here. If you interpret differently I am fine with that. I am just saying that anyone who want to catch bait should know the regulations. I am not an authority on the subject.

1 hour ago, TrophySeeker said:

So, I read the regs a while ago. Mostly because I was asked about Gobey as bait for bass. I don't feel the obligation to read and summarize my interpretation here. If you interpret differently I am fine with that. I am just saying that anyone who want to catch bait should know the regulations. I am not an authority on the subject.

Gobies are very different  fish from alewife with very different regs. 

What you said was it was illegal to catch or transport alewife, and you posted with a finality that implied that you are  an "authority," and said " Read the regs."   You posted incorrect information, perhaps you should reread the regs yourself.

For anyone who is interested in CORRECT information, here is the link to the pages in the guide.

http://www.eregulations.com/newyork/fishing/baitfish-regulations/

Lucky 13....noone can predict what Kings are going to chew on.. One day I ran a mix of spoons and meat... Meat took 90% of my fish.... Went back to the same water the next day... Ran the exact same program and the spoons got chewed...not one single meat hit.
The conditions were exactly the same... Currents, temps, speed, sunny, depths..ect... So from a scientific standpoint there was no conclusion to be made ( at least not for those two particular days).
My point is.... Can we accurately guess why a fish will eat one particular bait over the next ? Nope.... Only the fish know..and good anglers will be able to read the bite and adjust their programs accordingly

Sent from my VS996 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Gobies are very different  fish from alewife with very different regs. 

What you said was it was illegal to catch or transport alewife, and you posted with a finality that implied that you are  an "authority," and said " Read the regs."   You posted incorrect information, perhaps you should reread the regs yourself.

For anyone who is interested in CORRECT information, here is the link to the pages in the guide.

http://www.eregulations.com/newyork/fishing/baitfish-regulations/

I never said it was illegal to catch them. I said it was illegal to catch them and fish them as live bait. And I indicated there are concerns with transport. Re-read my post and lighten up...

On 7/15/2018 at 3:55 PM, Lucky13 said:

Haven't you seen football browns in spring stuffed to the gills with bait and yet still hit a lure?  Stick to your streams Lucky.  You best take next fall off from fishing to protect your legs from all the three year old kings that will be ascending the Salmon River.  Wouldn't that be ironic that the species you hate so much knock you on your ass.