Hello All,

I had been away from doing much boating or fishing for a couple of years.  I bought the neighboring house, tore it down, and built a garage.  That left me with little time on the water.  Now that that project is done, I can get back to a normal life that includes fishing!

It was an interesting day.  The boating conditions were perfect for my little 16 footer.  The plan was to troll for browns in the early morning, then search for lakers later.  No browns wanted to play, so when I saw some marks in 80-90 feet, I set up to start jigging.  And caught a nice laker right away.  The funny thing was that I always depend on a big concentration of fish for jigging to work, but I didn't find that.  There was just the odd fish here and there, but when I found fish, they often bit right away!  Bites would come on a blank screen, and each fish was bigger than the one before it.  Ended the day with 6 fish, the last one being a whopping 38 incher that must have weighed more than 20 pounds!  I had a movie camera with me.  When it was running, they wouldn't bite.  I turned it on to show that last big one, but was so excited I forgot to hit record!  Fishing by yourself just seems to make eerything more difficult.  Especially since I lost my landing net.  Don't know if it fell out of my boat somewhere or if somebody helped themselves to it when my boat was unattended.  But at least I ddint' lose any fish because of it.  I also got smart and added a stinger hook to my jig.  Can't imagine how better my numbers would have been over my previous trips had I been doing so!  Hope work and weather allows me to get out much more this summer.  I missed that electric tug!

14 minutes ago, Copperliner said:

Hi Pete, 

Glad that you're back on the water jigging, sounds like a blast - would be honored to be your cameraman anytime! :)

Keep after 'em,  Mike

Thanks Mike!  It's so hard to make plans, my trips are always last minute!

Been out jigging twice this year and both times on an east wind. Only one laker to show for it. I have to say, east wind and jigging do not mix out there. You’ll get a 1000 lookers, but they will not touch the jig.

38 inch LAKER = WOW and jigging too. Which lake were you on if you don't mind telling?   I have not seen a 38 inch laker.  Great fish and a great day.  Now the trick is to do it again!!!   Good show.......jk

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, idn713 said:

Been out jigging twice this year and both times on an east wind. Only one laker to show for it. I have to say, east wind and jigging do not mix out there. You’ll get a 1000 lookers, but they will not touch the jig.

Glad you're still getting out there Isaac!  Does that mean you bought a boat?

1 hour ago, Pete Collin said:

Glad you're still getting out there Isaac!  Does that mean you bought a boat?

Oh yah, jigged up quite a few lakers in the last two years with the one below being my biggest and I am running a 18 ft Lund now! It was a good boat choice for the waves out there!

78F98F65-C5DA-4A5A-AFF9-B9B95EB5D3DA.jpeg

FDA36A88-10FE-47AA-96CA-63F9E2DDD587.jpeg

Hey Pete neat video , do you ever jig vertically over them or drift most of the time , when fishing vertically its fun seeing them come up after the jig  chasing from 80 ' all the way to 20'  !!! and then hitting it .

38 minutes ago, chugbug said:

Hey Pete neat video , do you ever jig vertically over them or drift most of the time , when fishing vertically its fun seeing them come up after the jig  chasing from 80 ' all the way to 20'  !!! and then hitting it .

I jig vertically while drifting.  I got a long anchor line for windy days that I haven't gotten to try yet.  Lake Ontario fish really don't chase hase very far at all, and a fast crank is useless.

Thats interesting sounds like they aren't responding the same as the lakers in the finger lakes wonder why they would be any different . It really gets me when they chase a jig from 80 to 20 and then decide not to hit it make a turn and head back down to the bottom alot of spent energy for no meal didnt even take a crack at it !!!

• Like 1