Which Lake to go to.

If....you were to go fishing for the day (Saturday/Sunday) and not target anything in particular, which lake would you go to? Skaneateles or Otisco. As I mentioned, just going to float around or troll for a while with the wife. Found a place or two at Skaneateles to spend the night, nothing at Otisco, maybe the campground, would need to call. Fish for bass a lot at Keuka, walleye at Oneida and panfish everywhere else. Just looking for a change for the wife. Probably can't keep anything since hotels don't have cleaning stations and no camps on the water. Just your thoughts.

I brought the fish cleaning problem up a while back as cleaning them on the boat can get you in trouble  if there is a minimum length on the species your keeping . I'm cleaning them when I get off the water on ice while out fishing , I have cleaned them over my live well to catch any stuff that falls off or on a piece of plywood on the tailgate , putting fillets in a baggie and then in motel room freezer or on in a ice chest , carcass goes in a kitchen trash bag tied tight and in the dumpster at the motel , its not easy to be legal when they dont have cleaning stations anywhere on the finger lakes or oneida but I think I'm pretty good with this set up .

If....you were to go fishing for the day (Saturday/Sunday) and not target anything in particular, which lake would you go to? Skaneateles or Otisco. As I mentioned, just going to float around or troll for a while with the wife. Found a place or two at Skaneateles to spend the night, nothing at Otisco, maybe the campground, would need to call. Fish for bass a lot at Keuka, walleye at Oneida and panfish everywhere else. Just looking for a change for the wife. Probably can't keep anything since hotels don't have cleaning stations and no camps on the water. Just your thoughts.

Bass and pickerel fishing on SKN has been really good the last 2 weeks. Trolling has also been good.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

26 minutes ago, mako20 said:

Bass and pickerel fishing on SKN has been really good the last 2 weeks. Trolling has also been good.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Bass and pike would be good fun. Trolling I will want to try , I have two 9 footers (ML) with 30lb braid and #0 dipsy divers with a whole bunch of spoons. Probably would stay at the north end, a few hotels available.

Otisco is setting up pretty decent on the troll bite.  Last weekend several big tigers were caught as well as some very big walleye.  Bite has been  slow but it is turning on a bit. Campground has ac in the cabins, slips, and you can filet fish.  Lake temps are well over 80 for swimming.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, justtracytrolling said:

I pulled 3 of my 5 eyes today between 1030am - 1230pm...just saying

On lakes with an alewife forage base I've found the mid-day, mid-summer, bright sun walleye bite can be incredible and is often times best from 10 to 3 in my experience.  That's trolling worm harnesses which is my preferred method but I'm sure it works with lures also.  People so often think you have to fish walleye at dawn and dusk and at night and at certain times of year it's just not true.  

I use inline boards and getting away from the boat makes a huge difference.  I run jets off them for spoons and deep divers off them as well.  Riggers produce fish too, but nothing beats the boards.   Keep in mind no matter what you target your gear and net should handle 20+ lb tigers.  

So.....I was going to do Skaneateles this Saturday and drive to Otisco for Sunday while staying in Skany. Now I find out there is a boat show there this weekend, don't mind that, but worried about getting on the lake at the public launch with minimal parking. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

1 hour ago, rusty1034 said:

The pub launch on Skinny will be mess because of the old boat show. The only suggestion I have is to get there early.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

That's what I thought, Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I did go to Otisco on Saturday and had some fun with a few tigers. Smaller size, but still fun. Trolled to the north end and that's where the fun started on crank baits. Picked up a few bass as well. Had to dodge the tourney boats. Ended with a late lunch at the Vista, pretty decent food.

I would like to do it again without the bass tournament. More room to fish. Plus if I can get a cabin at the campground, it would make fishing easier. Waited an hour to get the boat out due to the weigh in. Staying there would let me fish late. 2 1/2 hour drive. Yep, I also like that hole in the wall to get to the lake. :sweating:

West side up to mid lake had great screens all morning but I got but 1...worst morning in a few weeks...cover water watch your graph... keep running the best screens till they bite or it's time to quit... yesterday I pulled a limit in no time once they turned on...trolled same fish for 4 hours till bingo triple!  Never made a single change

West side up to mid lake had great screens all morning but I got but 1...worst morning in a few weeks...cover water watch your graph... keep running the best screens till they bite or it's time to quit... yesterday I pulled a limit in no time once they turned on...trolled same fish for 4 hours till bingo triple!  Never made a single change
Trolled west side till 10 PM great screens ran all kinds of colors 15ft down to 45 9 rods no eyes just one cat. Lots of fish between big white house and camp with skies.
Tight lines

Sent from my SM-G935V using Lake Ontario United mobile app