Silver lake

ontherise

I'm headed to silver lake campground this weekend. Does anyone have any tips they'd like to share?, I'd like to target walleye. And, where is the nearest bait shop?.. pm me... thanks.... Joe

Thanks for letting me share.

Somebody has got to have some info. I'll be there for two days and probably never go back. Any "secret" is safe with me because I'll forget by Sunday morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I've never fished walleye there and heard there few and far between. Only fished it twice from the boat and got some huge bluegill. But I've fished I through the ice and got some very nice pike. If your looking for bigger fish I'd go for pike or bass. Everyone I've talked to said the walleye are few and far between but the ones that are caught are big!!!

The first rule of Silver Lake seems to be don’t talk about Silver Lake.

I’ll be there middle of next week for the first time. Ontherise, I’ll let you know how I do, but it won’t be in time for your trip this weekend.

• Like 1

Not a lake I’ve fished myself, but DEC offers some basic info and a map.  Based on map with max depth of 36 ft and pretty limited structure, I’d work weed edge or pull sticks.  Snap jigging would also probably work.  Pretty small lake so not surprising info is limited (boat traffic probably an issue so start early).  Have a good trip.

A small lake with plenty of recreational boaters,skiers,tubers, etc on nice weekends. I have fished it a lot and consider it a good panfish lake. Nice bass in there but you'll work for them. Decent northern population fishing the weed edges early or late. Walleye, as mentioned are few and far between. Not really worth going after. This time of year I'd look for suspended crappie in the deeper sections and use tiny jigs with a twister tail or something similiar. They are either hungry or they aren't. You get real bored or have kids you can dunk worms on a small jig away from the weed edges and pick up some nice bluegills if you can keep the grass perch from taking all your worms. But like I said, once the recreational boating starts you may as well go swimming.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I would fish it like Chautauqua.  Find a hard weed edge on the windy side of the lake and anchor so your transom is near the edge.  Fish from dinner time to 11:00 with a jig tipped with a piece of worm near the bottom.  Fish will creep out of the cover to feed in the open and the open water fish will move in to feed near the edge.  

Edited by Gill-T

Im confused, youre keeping dead perch you found on shore?

Oh yeah!! Fermented fish , it's an Asian delicacy.....hey you know what I found hilarious here? The bait shop is a restaurant, you put your order in at the cashier counter and walk around back to pick it up!!

Thanks for letting me share.
  • Like 1