New Model- Fish Hawk X2

Was excited to see Fish Hawk is coming out with a new model next month, the X2.  See link below.  It only shows speed and temp at the ball, so I was sure it was going to be less expensive than the X4, and definitely less than the X4D.  Well WRONG, you get less features for the same $649 that an X4 will cost you...Fish Hawk you lost an opportunity to get a whole new level of weekend warriors into your technology...

http://www.marinegeneral.com/productdetails.asp?productid=1655481&directoryid=11432&parentid=10908

It is able to run with or without a downrigger, and doesn't seem to require 12V power for the display unit, but still I thought they would introduce a less expensive model.

Edited by 1lastweekend
added working link...

20 hours ago, 1lastweekend said:

Was excited to see Fish Hawk is coming out with a new model next month, the X2.  See link below.  It only shows speed and temp at the ball, so I was sure it was going to be less expensive than the X4, and definitely less than the X4D.  Well WRONG, you get less features for the same $649 that an X4 will cost you...Fish Hawk you lost an opportunity to get a whole new level of weekend warriors into your technology...

http://www.marinegeneral.com/productdetails.asp?productid=1655481&directoryid=11432&parentid=10908

It is able to run with or without a downrigger, and doesn't seem to require 12V power for the display unit, but still I thought they would introduce a less expensive model.

I saw this a couple weeks ago and was a little confused by it myself. Ok no need for mounting a transducer on the boat, yeah that's nice and less wiring to run but I have transom boards on both sides of my boat so mounting a ducer isn't really a big deal. Use without downriggers? It looks like the same X4/D probe which is far from small and not something you're gonna run on a rod that you will be fishing with. How do you get it down to the depths you want at our trolling speeds and keep it there? Maybe I don't completely understand it yet, but it seems to me it was designed for smaller boats or to be a more "portable" unit.

Edited by FishingFool34

Here is the link to Fish Hawk's YouTube videos showing how the X2 works with and without a downrigger.  With a downrigger, actually looks like a decent setup if you want something more portable.  Without one, seems like a little more work...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogZ62_XKhHk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCk7SrHAGYg

50 minutes ago, 1lastweekend said:

Here is the link to Fish Hawk's YouTube videos showing how the X2 works with and without a downrigger.  With a downrigger, actually looks like a decent setup if you want something more portable.  Without one, seems like a little more work...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogZ62_XKhHk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCk7SrHAGYg

That's kind of what I was thinking you would have to do to use it without a downrigger. Now you basically are using a fishing rod as a downrigger of sorts without the advantages of actually having a downrigger. Definitely seems like it was designed more with the portability aspect in mind than a performance improvement or existing upgrade. Imagine the blowback on that 1lb ball at 100ft down trolling at 2.5mph lol

Edited by FishingFool34

Might be nice if all you have is a canoe in Outer Mongolia but I'm sticking with the X4D:lol:

Edited by Sk8man

11 hours ago, Sk8man said:

Might be nice if all you have is a canoe in Outer Mongolia but I'm sticking with the X4D:lol:

That's what I am leaning towards buying, but it's almost $800 unless you can find a sale or deal.  I am interested in the Depth Raider DRX-10 because it's only $450, but I cant figure out if it works with a coated cable and antenna like the Moor Sub Troll does.  If so I don't want it...

It uses a special coated cable according to the literature from the company

https://kelloutdoors.com/products/drx-10-speed-and-temp-system

18 hours ago, JJBat150 said:

Question on the fish hawk - whats the weight of the probe ? Run a 4 lb ball on the kayak and wondering how it would affect blow back on a that small a weight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

It has 4 AA batteries in it, I would say close to 1lb. Fish Hawk says it's shaped so it shouldn't add any resistance to downriggers, but I'm sure it has to add something. Maybe not noticeable with most guys running 10lb+ weights but with a 4lb weight?

Does anyone have experience (good or bad) with the Depth Raider DRX-10?  
I switched from fish hawk to depth raider an at this point I don't plan on going back . Yes it has more blow back an your cable won't last forever but in my opinion it's has a way more consistent reading than fh and I've caught alot more fish !!! I will say this new fish hawk has some good ideas but priced to high still

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Lake Ontario United mobile app

10 hours ago, drag&snag1985 said:

I switched from fish hawk to depth raider an at this point I don't plan on going back . Yes it has more blow back an your cable won't last forever but in my opinion it's has a way more consistent reading than fh and I've caught alot more fish !!! I will say this new fish hawk has some good ideas but priced to high still

Thanks, any idea why it has more blowback than the Fish Hawk?  Looks like they both use similar shaped probes...Is it the coated cable that does it?  Also how is the coated cable at cutting through fleas?

I should probably post this as a separate topic to get more feedback...

Thanks, any idea why it has more blowback than the Fish Hawk?  Looks like they both use similar shaped probes...Is it the coated cable that does it?  Also how is the coated cable at cutting through fleas?

I should probably post this as a separate topic to get more feedback...
I've never had a problem with fleas on the cable some times a few get on the antenna . Blow back is from the coated cable an ,this new fishhawk x2 uses the same concept except no coated cable

I have an older depth raider and no real issues with fleas, I replaced my cable last year as the old one was getting pretty short from cutting of sections that got bad. This year I have been lazy and have not cleaned the end that is missing the coating and haven't had issues with it not reading. Although I am mostly fishing for walleye at max depths of 70-80 fow.