Seneca 7-14 weekend

Seneca fished great all weekend. With the great weather came great fishing. Although, everyone seems to think the lake is dead, the FLTA tournament had proved otherwise. There was a great turnout of boats and lots of fish came to the scales. It was nice to see and HEAR everyone say the lake fished so much better than years past.

The lamprey problem is still, well a problem but after last months treatment we should see a decline in their presence over the next couple years. That's something to look forward too.

Hot ticket lures were gambler rigs, fished behind grease traps for Lakers. Play with the colors as the sun peaks and the bite will follow suit.

Flasher fly bites aren't fast and furious but a fair share of hits will come, UV flashers with an UV fly seems to be best this season for me.

Spoons, stinger scorpion size in mixed colors produced well. Even though down temp was around 55 foot, for ideal temps. The rainbows wanted to play about 25 to 35 down for the most action, until the sun peaked. Then the deeper bite produced more.

A few copper and lead core bites were in the mix too when weeds allowed the rods to run clean.

Get out and fish!

Have fun

Nick

20180714_074325.jpg20180714_075916.jpg20180714_080040.jpg20180714_110502.jpg20180714_110812.jpg20180714_120613.jpg20180714_120825.jpg20180714_205645.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Nice report Nick! I agree that Seneca is doing much better. The fish were starting to cooperate even though there is bait literally everywhere! This was our first full box on Seneca, we caught several LL and one bow. The Laker bite was a bit slow but we managed three. A Seneca special spin doctor with a green, uv fly was our ticket run 220' back on a mag dipsy. Tried many other fly, sd combos without luck. We found the fish to like it a bit slower 2.0-2.3. If we could've gotten some of the big suspended fish we marked out deep to go that woulda been cool. Our silvers came on orange and black full sized spoons, whereas they wanted smaller spoons the days we prefished.

Seneca is definitely worth the trip, look Nick up for a great time fishing it.

https://www.reelstoriesfishingcharters.com/

Edited by Nautitroller
  • Like 1

Nice report Nick! I agree that Seneca is doing much better. The fish were starting to cooperate even though there is bait literally everywhere! This was our first full box on Seneca, we caught several LL and one bow. The Laker bite was a bit slow but we managed three. A Seneca special spin doctor with a green, uv fly was our ticket run 220' back on a mag dipsy. Tried many other fly, sd combos without luck. We found the fish to like it a bit slower 2.0-2.3. If we could've gotten some of the big suspended fish we marked out deep to go that woulda been cool. Our silvers came on orange and black full sized spoons, whereas they wanted smaller spoons the days we prefished.
Seneca is definitely worth the trip, look Nick up for a great time fishing it.
https://www.reelstoriesfishingcharters.com/
Thanks for the plug. I just like to give seneca the props it needs. I've seen some negativity on this site towards me. I have no reason to "lie" to gain attention. I'm just being honest with guys, especially if it saves them that extra drive time to other lakes for a quick morning or afternoon trip on their boats.

Nick

IMO Seneca is and always has been a great fishery. Something happened, probably a combination of things that made catching fish difficult. There are plenty of fish but truly tons of bait. It's a jewel to fish but it's sheer size makes it difficult to find the active fish. Your tips are truly helpful Nick. I'm sure a lot of guys appreciate them, I sure have in the past and look forward to reading your posts in the future. With the bait the way it is now in a couple years we will see some giant LL, browns and bows..

• Like 1

John said it right Nick. Both you guys give helpful reports and information and it is based on solid knowledge and experience. It is unfortunate that anyone would make negative comments but it is the world we now live in where folks no longer trust each other, question their intentions or motives, or get off on antagonizing people by their negative comments. Don't let it discourage you from doing it. Keep at it out there. I for one hope that Seneca recycles or re-boots itself to the levels of times past. Folks should not forget that Seneca is not a stagnant body of water; it is very much alive and ever changing all of the time and "cleansing" itself via the Seneca River and the strong lake currents etc. Some other bodies of water may not be so lucky. Still my favorite Finger Lake with lots of room for everybody:smile:

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

Seneca is definitely picking up! A lot of my friends did well this last weekend (i didnt fish).  Nick is a standup guy and his knowledge and advice, which is always offered up generously has helped me out tremendously on Seneca. 

• Like 1

The trick to Seneca is hitting it when the bait is right for sure. The fish die offs last year scared me but hopefully that's over was glad to see the flta boxes for sure. But the abundance of bait is it's challenge the over-abundance of bait and die offs are natural with alewives. Thats actually why kings were stocked in the great lakes was to thin the bait a little so that dead bait didn't scatter the shores during die offs. Hopefully we can get enough piggy trout and salmon to knock the bait populations down a little!

There's still hope for Seneca! 

• Like 1

Thanks for the plug. I just like to give seneca the props it needs. I've seen some negativity on this site towards me. I have no reason to "lie" to gain attention. I'm just being honest with guys, especially if it saves them that extra drive time to other lakes for a quick morning or afternoon trip on their boats.

Nick

I have always been told 10% of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish. That being said most fishermen might struggle when a lake is fishing tough. You my friend are in the top 10% of the best on the lake. Hold your head high and be proud. Since I’ve known you, you have always displayed class and integrity.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  • Like 2