Sam's Pro Releases

Anybody use these on inline planer boards? I have a pair of Offshore SST Mag boards and had a big salmon sink one and keep going. I let up on the drag trying to get the board to resurface but unfortunately the copper line broke and I lost 300ft of copper, a big paddle and meat rig... about $60 in gear gone. I was thinking these releases might help remove the weight/pull of the board when fighting fish. My biggest concern is if the tension can be adjusted enough so the release won't pop under tension from 300ft+ of copper + a big board + waves, but still go once a fish hits.

Yeah I did a quick search and read about them but I couldn't seem to find any info on ppl using them on the larger boards. Like I said with the added pull of them big boards + copper line I just wanted to know if the releases can handle it. I really don't want them tripping and swinging in over all my other lines, I see terrible tangles in my future.

I don’t think they were designed to be used in such a manner, meaning king fishing where they can get any situation in a mess in a quick hurry, like any in-line board the trick is to let them fall back and brig up the middle. I doubt I would use them other than eye fishing. I would run no more than 3 per side to be on the safer side if that exists in king fishing.

I use that exact set up. Works great for me. Braid backing makes them easy to trip due to lack of stretch. I run 50 lb power pro
X2 on this exact set up. The sams release is adjustable enough so it doesnt false release under those conditions. A decent king will surely pop it open though. Between the sams release opening and your drag loosened, the board should stay on top of the water. Just let the fish take line and fall back behind your other lines(boards or divers) to the middle before working him in. Big boards on my little boat were a pain so i switched to inlines. Both have their pros and cons.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

1 hour ago, Brian S said:

X2 on this exact set up. The sams release is adjustable enough so it doesnt false release under those conditions. A decent king will surely pop it open though. Between the sams release opening and your drag loosened, the board should stay on top of the water. Just let the fish take line and fall back behind your other lines(boards or divers) to the middle before working him in. Big boards on my little boat were a pain so i switched to inlines. Both have their pros and cons.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Awesome that's what I wanted to know, gonna order a set and give them a try Thanks!