Sampson State Park Question

Hi guys-

Been a while since posting as I have moved to the Albany area and no long fish Skaneateles lake. That said I still follow the boards and I’ve been dreaming about getting back west and on Seneca or Cayuga this late summer/fall. It just so happens A week opened up in August and there are almost NO rentals available with a solid dock and our dates available.

I was hoping I could get some insight on planning a last minute trip to Sampson state park. I have Never been but they appear to have cottages and a launch. I can’t seem to find much info on the cottages except for one bad review on trip advisor from 2016 which said they had roaches!

Seems possible to just rent a cabin and launch each day to fish. Are there overnight docks to rent or a day use dock?

I’d welcome any insight, i know this might not be the best place to ask the question but I was hoping someone could share some info.

Many thanks in advance

Kyle

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks. That’s actually where I’ve been getting most of my info from. I ended up calling the pro and they were very helpful. I still have my concerns about the primitive cabins so may end up tenting it or tying to get one of the cottages.

Hopefully I’ll be out there trolling in August- not sure how things are going round that time in that area but I’m looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

You didn't say when in August you're coming, but If you'd like some company give me a shout.

I'm in Rochester, on vacation 7/31 until 8/13 or so.

I'm newly retired, never had a chance to fish Seneca, and would like to learn what works there.

Edited by R1150R
grammar
  • Like 1

I camped at Sampson for years but never in the fairly new cabins. There are about 240 campsites  and good bathroom facilities  etc. At one time had a self-contained camper as well as tents. Tenting is not bad there and and no matter which site you choose (most are electric) water and facilities are in easy reach and the launch is within a couple minutes of any of them. Sampson and Cayuga Lake State Park are pretty busy campgrounds and often the sites fill up fast. Cayuga is also a real nice campground (just there past weekend) with many amenities and a wide range of sites, and swimming beach etc. and cottages but they are probably filled up for the season early)The launch there at the park  is quite low water  so I launch up the road about 10 miles south on Rt#89 at Dean's Cove where you have nearly immediate access to good fishing. There is a fee and a kiosk there in the parking lot  that only takes credit cards no cash.

Edited by Sk8man

R11 - I’d for sure meet up but for one I know nothing about fishing Seneca and two, I won’t even be around until the following week.

Thanks for the info Sk8man!

I just booked a cottage at Sampson. This way the wife will be comfortable and I won’t have to put up a tent [emoji16]. A week cost less than the other 3 night rentals I was looking at. I figured having easy access to the launch and maybe even the possibility of getting a slip there made it a no brainer.

It looks like a 20 minute drive from Sampson to Deans cove launch so I may have to try that a day as well!

They have solid docks. Get slip 99 or 100. Both steps rocks. I seasonal slip at 96.

The cabins are just cabins. No electric unless you want the luxury cabins that have a weekly price.

Contact me for any info and I can fill you in. 607 426 5919, i can point ya where the fishings decent.

Nick

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

i would jump on that fishing info from lakebound that guy knows that lake.  I used to fish mostly Seneca untill i got a bigger ride and started hitting Ontario.  August used to be great time to fish that lake. if you could find bait balls you could scrape Lakers from under and pop bows or land locks from up high.  Sampson is a good starting point lots of good areas around there heck you can start trolling within 100 yds of the marina and be in good water.  

I have only fished Cayuga a couple times and it was out of Deans caught fish in both directions and again fishable water is right out of the shoot.

great area of the state to be in for a fisherman

Thanks guys! Really, really appreciate the input. Lakebound, I may have to hit you up if you don’t mind.

I ended up renting one of the “plush” cabins at Sampson so I’ll try and let everyone know how it works out. Hopefully I can get into some fish while I am there and my next post will be some fish photos. Looking forward it!!

• 3 weeks later...

Bringing this one back up! So I’ll be headed out to Sampson end of next week to spend a few days on the lake. Very excited, been reading as man Seneca reports as I can find [emoji51]. Really hoping for some decent weather.

Any pointers on spoon size/color would be appreciated. I fish a lot of smaller Sutton’s and honeybees here on George/Chanp/Schroon. That said it seems green is a popular one for Seneca and I might even be able to fish some Dreamweaver super slims??

I also bought some gambler rigs and a grease trap to run deep so I hope I have my bases covered.

Hopefully I’ll have a good trip summary at the end with some photos to share.

Thanks for all the past(and future) input!