What type of down rigger setup

cmc5028

IMG_5860.JPG

Ok guys, I have couple questions, and would appreciate some feedback. I have a 16 foot boat, 72 inch beam. Trying to decide if it would be better to get Eagle Feet and run a 2x6 across the back, or just go with a small rigger or two. I was looking at the Cannon Lake Troll.

I would like to place a rigger behind the rid holder box, but worried about the rigger pulling out. I know Cannon makes a deck plate, but would that be enough support? I could put a plate on both sides of the gunwale.

Or do guys that have the Eagle Feet like how sturdy they are?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

It is difficult to tell from the pic exactly how much room there is near where the rear cleats are now located but if  you had some access to the underside of the gunwales to put a backing plate and to mount the rigger bases near the corners you might consider moving the cleats  slightly forward of their current position and placing the riggers there where they would be separated well and still readily accessible without the board across approach which sometime interferes with netting fish etc.....just a thought.

Edited by Sk8man

Yes, I plan to move cleats, and have good access to the under belly of the gunwale.

Talked to Cannon tech support, they said a deck plate would be sufficient on be sandwiched between the top of gunwale and the Cannon tab lock downrigger base. I would most likely add something to the underside of gunwale, cause I like to overkill things.

Most likely only will run 4 and 6 lb weights

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Yes, I plan to move cleats, and have good access to the under belly of the gunwale.

Talked to Cannon tech support, they said a deck plate would be sufficient sandwiched between the top of gunwale and the Cannon tab lock downrigger base. I would most likely add something to the underside of gunwale, cause I like to overkill things.

Most likely only will run 4 and 6 lb weights

IMG_5861.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

check out Cisco Fishing Systems, best on the market if you want good, reliable stainless equipment. Not chea, but will last a lifetime. I have tax, cannon mag 10 down rigger mounts, rod holders...love them all.

Consider swivel bases also as when docking you want to be able to get the riggers out of the way and  when your back light needs to be in the receptacle.

Edited by Sk8man

No, I put the pt under the gunwales and used big jon swivel bases on top. Never had a problem in four years of running that boat. I own cannons now with swivel bases, I believe you could thru bolt them into the pt like I did with the big jons. Good luck, pm me if you have any more questions.    Matt