Sat. Morning 10-5 Sandy Creek (Hamlin)

Fished near the boat launch from about 6-9 am.

Fair amount of action early with a few hits.

Buddy and I each had one on with a couple of misses each.

Landed one salmon (35 1/2 inches Female).

The fish looked pretty good, not silver by any means, but not all corroded either.

Does anyone have any guesses how far along the Sandy Creek run might be ? I'm wondering if I'm early, late, or right on time since it was my first time out there. Although I guess anytime you catch some fish it's "right on time" :)

Thanks !

Thanks ScottB.

We've had success off and on there in past years depending on current, and the weeds, but usually later in October.

It can get messy there sometimes and not just from the slobs leaving their garbage everywhere.

I hear it has gotten bad with the garbage. I try to stay away from there since there isn't much room. That is sad though. Your the second person who stated this to me this week.

It's sad but true every year. I take my boat down there throughout the year, and choose not to go down when it's prime time at the mouth because of the garbage and antics which go on there. I respect the guys on the docks fishing, but it's not always mutual when you're tyring to launch or retrieve.

I'm hoping this past rain and colder nights might have triggered somethin. I'll be there this Friday night and possibly Saturday morning and will report what I run into. Every year I seem to be early... Hopefully this year pans out to be better timing.

Thanks ScottB.

We've had success off and on there in past years depending on current, and the weeds, but usually later in October.

It can get messy there sometimes and not just from the slobs leaving their garbage everywhere.

I hear it has gotten bad with the garbage. I try to stay away from there since there isn't much room. That is sad though. Your the second person who stated this to me this week.

Last time I was there it was a dump of bottles and other trash. As far as the launching, I have had no problems with anybody, as a matter of fact last time I came in it was dark and a guy held his lantern out to help me out a bit. I just muscle my way through the guys on the "launch/retrieve" parts of the docks. They will move and most times you don't have to ask. Hoping to get out on Sunday morning/afternoon/evening for one last trip for the silvers and steel.

I didn't make it out as planned, but heard of a few monsters taken around the parkway. I heard from a friend who talked with a DEC officer from Wayne County who said that the run is late this year since we haven't had a significant amount of rain yet. All of the creeks are still low, so expect them to be around into November this year. I guess Nov. 15th is the canal release which seems late to me.

Here's a pic from a friend:

Pq1b6ugi.jpg

YT the garbage is bad in some spots but some people try. I have a spot were i go before all the people fill in and have been alone with no one around me besides a few boats here and there. I make sure the spot i fish stays clean, but there are two salmon some retards decided to just throw in the grass. One female and a little male, i dont even think they took the eggs out of it, whats the point?the creek is way two clear and is getting lower every day it seems. Ive gone down acouple days before work from like 4:45 till about 6:30 and there is usually no one there.Im just waiting for some trout to show up!!!

Musky that's the same guy and fish. There was a women there that took a picture too. Nice lady who just got into the trout and salmon fishing she said.

Shane is your friend a lady? Nice lady. I didn't catch her name but she was helping him keep his line off the back of my boat that was sitting on the back part of my trailer. Needed to get the trailer backed down further to get the boat on it because like Shane said the water is really low like a foot and a half but needed to wait because this guy "hooked" (or as it really was hog tied) his fish right then.

There were salmon eggs all over the top of the launch from somebody that just left them there :evil: :roll: . I think if there was a garbage can available most guys/girls would use it but I understand they would need to get it emptied.

Yup! Bob Scarciatta (in the pic) told me about Tom the Fishinman pulling up and lending a hand... They're in there! I'm yet to catch one this fall, but I haven't had the time. Looks like rain the rest of the week, so hopefully it will kick it into gear.

Does anyone know if the kings are making it upstream past the next few bridges?

Hopefully I'll be out there this weekend. The only decision more difficult than Sat-vs-Sun is veggie soup or Adirondack Chowder in the thermos :mrgreen:

I was at sandy this morning and almost had to put cigarette butts in my nose, but i dont smoke. I farted and tried to wiff it just for the quick moment of a refreshing smell. The DEC would be rich if they stopped there every morning, usually at least one person south of bridge(dark out) and i bet they are fishing eggs with the sinker on the bottom and they are illegally parked. The creek is low and weedy and i have seen no fish near the second bridge although i only stop and look for a second to see whats happening every couple days.

Doug