Autopilot

I just picked up a 1993 dixie 821 that needs an engine replacement.  Anyway. Once that is done I'd like to put autopilot on it.  It will have a 4.3 with a 9.9 4 stroke kicker.  I had a quest 267 with a raymarine auto pilot, I dont remember the model but it had +1,-1,+10,-10 inputs with was a VERY nice feature.  What is out there now?  I'm only interested in using it for trolling with the 9.9 and I'm NOT interested in top of the line $4000 unit. Just a solid performing unit that will keep my boat on course while trolling.

Edited by wicked walleye

I’m in the same boat!! I looked at the tr1 gold but was looking for a less$$$ but maybe ray marine brand sells for like $1200 vs the tr1 is 2g Plus, I read a lot about the raymarine but still not 100% understanding what’s all in tailed?? Not much help from here either, guess everyone is fishing. Totally sick of the steer bracket and needing a driver!!!

I see in another thread you have the ev100.  Dont you have to have your big motor running in order for the power steering to work?  

That’s a good question, probably Hank from L&M can answer it better than I. I do believe there is a hydraulic pump that is included with the Raymarine unit. They come in different sizes. The one I use works when the main motor is shut off, and the kicker is on. Great unit for the solo fisherman.

The Raymarine can also be connected to a certain brand of GPS unit, not sure which one. By connecting it to the GPS, you can troll in several different ‘patterns’, S pattern, figure eight, circle, to various waypoints, pretty robust unit. I just use it to go in a straight line while I’m setting gear, or am fortunate enough to have to reel in a fish.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That’s a good question, probably Hank from L&M can answer it better than I. I do believe there is a hydraulic pump that is included with the Raymarine unit. They come in different sizes. The one I use works when the main motor is shut off, and the kicker is on. Great unit for the solo fisherman.

The Raymarine can also be connected to a certain brand of GPS unit, not sure which one. By connecting it to the GPS, you can troll in several different ‘patterns’, S pattern, figure eight, circle, to various waypoints, pretty robust unit. I just use it to go in a straight line while I’m setting gear, or am fortunate enough to have to reel in a fish.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app
I have raymarine ev 100 on my boat. Unit is electric hydraulic pump run off main batteries. Link kicker to outdrive or outboard motor and it moves both together doesn't matter which is running you will be steered. I use mine both for running and trolling and I love it. It has rotary dial for deviation rather than plus and minus buttons. Third season ok n of use and love it

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Best thing I ever Bought was an autopilot! Had a raymarine st 1000 tiller autopilot I made to work on my old boat with push pull steering, less than $300! worked perfectly. There is a thread under this old boat. Now with my "new" boat with hydraulic steering I bought the lowrance outboard AP and it works  great! it costs $999. But you need and HDS 3 Fissfinder (maybe an HDS 2 with the right software) to control it.